Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designate ownership of a Bitbucket Cloud Workspace

AnthonyMaidment August 25, 2020

Is it possible to designate an "owner" of a Bitbucket Cloud Workspace?

That is, in a situation where the code belongs to a specific person or even to a company, how can that be designated in the Workspace? Obviously, one approach is to have the code held in an individual's workspace - or, I suppose, have that 'individual' be a company - but if there is a need to allow multiple users to administer the workspace / repositories, that may not be feasible.

For example, there is a comment on this question that "workspaces are floating and belong to whoever admins them", which may be appropriate in an open-source project, but may not be appropriate where this is a specific owner.

It might be that this is really a feature request, to add a user permission setting "Owner", which sits above "Admin", although there may not be many actions that an "Owner" could do over and above what an "Admin" could do, and Atlassian have taken the choice to reduce the number of choices.

1 answer

0 votes
Jerome ULRICH August 28, 2020

We've just actually stumbled today on a problem directly linked with this issue.

We also have our repositories grouped under a workspace that represents our company.

Due to a failure with our banking visa card, the monthly payment could not be processed and we were downgraded to the free version. We noticed at that moment that the only user that had access to the company workspace was the initial creator of the workspace, a former employee who did it initially with his personal Email for test. We never paid attention to that but you can imagine the result. We were lucky enough that we are still in excellent relationship with this former employee and we could eventually log in, change the card details and recover our repositories.

I removed the former employee from the admin but we still have today 3 admins left. I don't know which one will be the "owner" of the account if it's again downgraded in the future. It's a huge security issue imho.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events