Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CredentialHelperSelector keeps popping up, how do I fix

Deleted user June 22, 2020

There are tons of resolutions on when SourceTree popup which asks for credentials.  However, I could not find any fix on this specific error.  When I clone a repository in  SourceTree the following screen pops up.  I checked the radio button for a few of them and clicked Select.  This didn't anything as the popup came back.  Also, the options are repeated.  I clicked Cancel about 5-10x and the popup goes away and I move forward with Commit/Pull.  It allows me to do this but the popup keeps coming and I just hit Cancel over and over.  I have to hit Cancel about 20-30x while I commit/pull.   The popup appears randomly throughout the day and/or when I am commiting/pulling/pushing in Sourcetree.  How do I resolve this issue? 

Attempted the following with no luck:

1.  I followed the steps in this URL: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/CredentialHelperSelector/qaq-p/1334704 and it still doesnt work.

2.  Avoided checking the "Git Credential Manager" checkbox during the Git for Windows installer

SourceTree_BitbucketError.PNG

2 answers

7 votes
zhou_zebao August 11, 2020

I was same to you. But I found the reason. I hope it will help you.

In win10, you can open the file ( C:\Users\icg_s\.gitconfig ) and remove the code:

[credential "helperselector"]
selected = s

helperselector.png

Le Vo Tra Giang November 4, 2020

After searching and trying a ton of solutions, this worked for me finally.

Thank you so much for your great answer!

Like # people like this
zhou_zebao November 4, 2020

Nice to help you. It makes me happy.

Like Le Vo Tra Giang likes this
nymendaros July 26, 2021

did not work for me :-(

Like Shanmukha Bollapragada likes this
Gustavo Jimenez Torres October 12, 2021

It didn't work for me either, someone has found another solution

Like Nagumo Reo likes this
6 votes
digiajay April 1, 2023

Two things helped me I guess.  

1. Deleting the below sections from .gitconfig
    selected = s
  2. Setting Tools>>Options>>Git>>GitVersion>>System (click button)

The credential window came up again on my first restart of Sourcetree.  Then it didn't come up again on the second and subsequent restart.

I mostly use https instead of ssh to get around.

Heing Yeo April 21, 2023

Thank-you. This helped me.

John Doe December 5, 2023

Helped me too, thanks!

Harry Welchman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 7, 2023

That second step is crucial. This helped me as well.

Coarist December 16, 2023

Thanks for posting. This method worked for me. 

I am WIndows 11, SourceTree 3.4.14. 

Xavier Parellada
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 11, 2024

Thank you my friend! You are a genius! <3

Celine
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2024

This works on Win 11

albinochicken
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 18, 2024

Clicking the System button in Tools > Options > Git > Git Version was the key here.  Thanks for posting this easy to overlook thing!

I don't believe deleting the following was even necessary:

selected = s

At least it wasn't in my case.

I also went in and deleted my credentials and reauthenticated them.  HTTPS and OAuth worked for me.

That said, it's also important to have the latest version of git installed on your system.  To do so, go to the cmd prompt and type:

git update-git-for-windows

Make sure Sourcetree is updated as well.

As of this post, I'm running:

Sourcetree: 3.4.17

Git: v2.44.0

Hope that helps anyone hitting this annoying issue.  It's amazing how Atlassian still hasn't addressed this in a reasonable way with user-facing error messaging to help out.  A simple messaging stating to make sure both your Sourcetree and local git are updated would go a long way.

Note: I didn't figure this stuff out.  Just pooling some info from different sources that I've scoured the Internet for.  Wish I knew where to give credit.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events