cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choose name format for BB Pull Request merges

Jay Guidos August 5, 2021

Our corporate users are instructed to use: 

firstname.lastname 

as their author names for commits.  These name seem to be accepted by BB cloud and are not mapped to anything else.  The same users usually set up their BB Cloud Account with a human friendly name in 

Firstname Lastname 

format.  When we do PR merges, we end up with a mash of commit authors in both firstname.lastname and Firstname Lastname format.  We want to continue to follow our corporate standard of firstname.lastname as author in commit message but there seems to be no way to do so.  

Can you help?

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2021

Hi, @Jay Guidos

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When you say that you "end up with a mash of commit authors in both firstname.lastname and Firstname Lastname format", are you referring to the list of commits on Bitbucket UI or on Git? 

Thank you! 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

Jay Guidos August 13, 2021

Hi Caroline, 

I am referring to the list of commits in GIT. 

In our GIT commits we are carefully using the firstname.lastname mapped to each BB Cloud user's account, so commit views inside the BB GUI are always shown correctly, but in Firstname Lastname format.  

The trouble appears on GIT searches that do not involve the BB GUI.  Because BB commits with an author name of Firstname Lastname and our other GIT toolset does not have an equivalent mapping capability then our by-author searches are complicated by having to provide alternate name match queries.

If we could specify the desired commit author to be used when BB does commits on the user's behave it would simplify things considerably. I realize there is potential spoofing risk here, especially if I do something like: 

• My Account Name: Jay Guidos
  • My Commit Author: john.smith

But that kind of thing is easily dealt with via simple templating or audit trails, if you cared.

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2021

Hi, @Jay Guidos,

Thanks for the additional details. Just to give you some context around the information we see on Git, the “author" field will show you the information that the user set on the .gitconfig file. However, when you have a Pull request on Bitbucket and you merge your code there, Git will show you the "Full name" information of the user who merged it. The full name field is set on the Atlassian account level.

With that said, as you confirmed you want to continue to follow your corporate standard of firstname.lastname as the author in the commit message, in order to keep the same name in both scenarios, you can ask the users to change their "Full name” on their Atlassian account by following the next steps:

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events