Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change a private repo into a public

syphon December 3, 2020

Hello folks🙋‍♂️ I'm new to BitBucket and sadly I've encountered a problem.

My Problem:

How can I convert a private repo into a public one.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2020

Hi @syphon  ,

I assume that your request is about a Bitbucket Cloud repo (hosted on https://bitbucket.org/)?

If so, is the option "This is a private repository" from Repository settings disabled?

If this is indeed the case, the most likely reason is that the repository belongs to a private Project.

Projects are like folders, that can be used to organize/group repositories within a workspace.
A project can be either private or public.
Private projects can contain only private repositories, while public ones can contain both private and public repos.

If you navigate to Projects within your workspace, you can create a public Project (uncheck the option "Private project" in the create page).

Afterwards, you can navigate to the Repository settings > switch the project this repo belongs to to the public one, and then the option "This is a private repository" will become enabled.

You can also change the visibility of your existing project, if you navigate to Projects > select the project > Project settings.

If the issue is different than what I described, I would like to ask if you could share some more details on the error your encounter so we can better help you.

Kind regards,
Theodora

syphon December 5, 2020

Thanks Theo

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2020

You are very welcome.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events