Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can't login to bitbucket.org with atlassian credentials (2step auth codes not accepted)

After changing phone I have no bitbucket in auth app. I have enabled 2step for atlassian, but those codes are not accepted for bitbucket.org login.

When I click recovery for bitbucket.org it resets atlassian account.

2 answers

0 votes

Hi @Mykhaylo Sorochan,

2FA for the Atlassian account (https://id.atlassian.com/) is separate from 2FA for the Bitbucket account (https://bitbucket.org/). The codes for one cannot be used in the 2FA screen for the other one.

If you don't need 2FA for the Atlassian account, I would suggest to first disable it from this page, to avoid confusion:

https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/two-step-verification

- Enter your Account password and click Unlock settings to get to your two-step verification settings. You won't see this option if you recently entered your password.
- Under 'Settings', click Disable two-step verification.
- From the confirmation dialog that appears, click Disable to stop using two-step verification for the Atlassian account.

Now, for logging in to Bitbucket, there are two options:

1st option: If your laptop/computer has the SSH keys you use for your Bitbucket Cloud account, you can retrieve 6 recovery codes with the following command:

ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_codes

These can be used in Bitbucket 2FA screen (not in the 2FA screen for the Atlassian account). Please note that you can only use a recovery code once. So, you can use one of these codes to log in to Bitbucket, and then a second one to disable 2FA in Bitbucket. You can then set up 2FA again using your new phone.

2nd option: In case the 1st option doesn't work, you can do the following:

In Bitbucket 2FA screen, there is a link at the bottom with the text Forgot code?.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 12.51.46.png

Select the link Forgot code?, and you'll see a screen informing you that we'll send a recovery email to your Bitbucket account's primary email. This process may take some time to complete (~24 hours), and you may be contacted by our Support team for account verification. Make sure to select the Send recovery email on that second screen.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

I get no recovery codes:

ssh git@bitbucket.org recovery_codes
Bitbucket two-step recovery codes
If you don't use a password to log in you'll need to contact support to recover your account: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/
Enter Bitbucket password (Warning: password displays when entered): [password here]

Your single-use recovery codes are

Once logged in, you should immediately visit
https://bitbucket.org/account/user/msorc/two-step-verification/
to add a new two-step device.

Thank you for using Atlassian Bitbucket.

When I go with "Forgot code?" I get into atlassian recovery, not bitbucket.

Hi @Mykhaylo Sorochan,

I'm not sure how the "Forgot code?" option gets you into Atlassian recovery instead of Bitbucket.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings, I am listing here the steps that should be followed (I would suggest trying the steps in an Incognito/Private window of your browser):

1. Go to https://bitbucket.org/ and select the "Log in" option from the top right corner

2. After you enter your account's credentials, you should see the Atlassian 2FA page:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 14.31.17.png

My understanding is that you set up Atlassian 2FA with your new phone, so you have access to 2FA codes for the Atlassian account. Is that correct?

If so, you can enter a 2FA code on that page.

3. After you successfully get past Atlassian 2FA, you'll get redirected to the Bitbucket 2FA page:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 14.31.43.png

4. Selecting the "Forgot code?" link should show you the following page:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 14.31.56.png

On that page, you'll need to select the link "Send recovery email". This option will send a 2FA recovery email for Bitbucket to your account's email, approximately 24 hours after the request.

If you face any issues, please do let me know the exact steps you are taking and attach any screenshots as I did, so we can look further into this and so I can check whether we can send you a 2FA recovery email from our side.

I assume that the issue occurs with the Bitbucket Cloud account that has the same email as your community account?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Yes, the email is same.

I have tried 2 times to recover access to bitbucket, but only during the 3rd time, after Atlassian code:

atlassian_code.png

I was able to see the bitbucket 2FA disable page:

bitbucket_disable_2FA.png

Previously it was the Bitbucket 2FA page, like you posted at step 3.

I have successfully recovered access and reenabled 2FA, thanks.

Hi @Mykhaylo Sorochan ,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad you were able to successfully recover your Bitbucket Cloud account and set up 2FA again.

You mentioned that you tried 2 times to recover access to Bitbucket, but only during the 3rd time you were able to see the Bitbucket 2FA page after the Atlassian 2FA page. What was happening previously, the first 2 times, (if you remember), was the Atlassian 2FA page giving you some error, or not redirecting you to Bitbucket 2FA? Please feel free to let me know if you remember, so we can look into this.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Definitely I had not seen Bitbucket 2FA recovery/disable page. The process looked like I am resetting Atlassian login/2FA, I might miss some details, but again in general it was like Atlassian reset without Bitbucket steps.

Thanks for helping me with the process.

0 votes

If you replace your mobile device after enabling two-step verification, you'll need to connect your new device to Bitbucket. To do that, disable two-step verification from Bitbucket and then enable it again. Atlassian cannot disable two-step verification for any Bitbucket user account.

To enable two-step verification:

1. From your avatar in the bottom left, click Personal settings.

2. Click Two-step verification under Security.

3. Review the requirements and make sure you've fulfilled them all.

4. Enter your Atlassian Account password and click Set up two-step verification.
    If your Atlassian account does not have a password, you'll need to set one in order to set up two-step verification. You can set a password for your Atlassian account using password recovery. Once you've set a password, log in to Bitbucket again and proceed.

5. Scan the QR code using your mobile devices and enter the resulting code in the Verification code field.
    If your mobile device cannot successfully scan the code, you can use the information in the Account and Key fields to connect your application. See the instructions for your authentication application to complete the process.

6. Download or otherwise record your recovery codes and keep them in a secure place where you can access them.

You can find more details in this link. :  https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/enable-two-step-verification/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,223 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you