Build my own Atlassian app

Justin Johnson October 18, 2012

Where I work we are planning on setting up an Atlassian service, starting with Stash and expanding to other products. We currently have a Subversion service and I would really like to have Subversion setup in a similar way to Stash with a simliar UI, consistent Project definitions, shared permissions from the Project, etc. Obviously Stash doesn't support Subversion and it would be awkward to integrate Subversion support into the same tool using plugins since Subversion isn't a DVCS.

Is it possible for someone like us to create our own application similar to Stash built on the Atlassian reference app? I'm assuming not, since it looked like the reference app is only for testing plugins that work with multiple Atlassian products.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jens Schumacher [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

Hi Justin, the best thing to do if you want to build your own Atlassian app is to apply for a job here ;)

But more seriously, the reference app is merely a lightweight implementation of the plugin system and won't give you any headstarted on other infrastructure pieces like authentication and data storage.

Additionally, it's not a trivial task to implement a Subversion management tool. If the management part itself is not too big of an issue, you might want to take a look at FishEye, which allows for visualising your source-code and has advances search and reporting capabilities. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jens

Justin Johnson October 18, 2012

=) I figured it wasn't possible but thought I'd check. What I want really is Stash for Subversion. Git is great, but we have a wide variety of developers and for some Git is overwhelming.

We need a self service tool integrated with the other Atlassian products that allows developers to create their own repository nested within their Atlassian project, manage the permissions, etc. We already have the Subversion infrastructure in place to handle this, but not the nice UI and self service, which is crucial for us.

For whatever it's worth, the ability to purchase a robust "reference app" that we can customize via plugins, etc, would be quite lovely. =)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events