Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branch view - how to display more than 10 commits by default?

NickS March 30, 2022

I think this is part of the new UI change and I really don't like this. Is there not a setting somewhere to change the default number of commits displayed when viewing a branch? Also, the column for the commit message is really truncated now - is there anyway to extend that?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2022

Hi @NickS,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm afraid that there is no setting for displaying more than 10 commits by default in the branch view, nor for adjusting the column width of the commit message column.

The width of the commit message column will get adjusted by resizing the browser's window. If the full commit message is not visible after maximizing the browser window, you can view it in a tooltip by hovering over that commit message.

I can create a feature request about setting the default number of commits, please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to proceed with that. Would you like to be able to set that in the branch view, for a specific branch? Or would you like a setting for all branches in a repository?

Kind regards,
Theodora

NickS April 4, 2022

Thanks for the reply.

Having to hover over a commit message is really time consuming to get an idea of what work has been done in the branch. Commit messages are often written quite long, and at a glance I have barely any idea what the message says as it's cut so short. It used to be a nice length in the branch view on my macbook res of 1400x900. I don't know what purpose cutting off the commit messages serves. What a shame.

I'd prefer a global setting so that I could apply the number of default commits to all branches across all repositories.

I don't understand any of these changes. They just make working with branches difficult.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2022

Hi @NickS,

I went ahead and created a feature request for the default number of commits:

Please make sure to add your vote to the feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) and also any feedback, as this is where our development team and product managers track feedback.
You can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

Regarding the commit messages:

The sidebar with the file tree (on the right side) is taking up some space in the new branch view, but it can be collapsed, see the image below:

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 16.01.03.png

Is this something that helps?

If not, what would be the desired feature?
Provide a horizontal scrollbar to navigate to the whole message?
Show the full commit message wrapped in multiple lines?

I'm not sure if a fixed-length column would work well, considering also that there are more columns in that view.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events