cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket repository backup policy

Kunal Mitra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 23, 2023

Hi,

We are using bitbucket repository and want to understand its repositories backup policy. Is Bitbucket is handling regular backup of our repositories? What are the steps if we want to acquire any repository backup from bitbucket?

Please reply to this as soon as possible as I am looking forward to it.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2023

Atlassian takes care of the backups. I don't know if it is documented anywhere.

But, if you look for more guarantees, you can do your own backups. What we do here at Midori, and I know many others follow that practice, is mirroring all Bitbucket-hosted repositories to GitHub with minimal latency. (We basically pull all changes from Bitbucket and push those to GitHub in every 5 minutes or so.)

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2023

Hey @Kunal Mitra ,

just reiterating  @Aron Gombas _Midori_ answer, Bitbucket Cloud does backup your repositories. Snapshot backups are generated hourly and retained for 30 days to allow for point-in-time data restoration. Snapshots are encrypted at rest, and our platform service performs periodic automated tests of backup integrity.

You can find more details on our backup policy in the article Does Bitbucket backup my repositories ?

Thank you!

Patrik S

Like Aron Gombas _Midori_ likes this
0 votes
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ August 29, 2023

Hi @Kunal Mitra ,

As it has already been mentioned Atlassian backs up your Bitbucket data and keeps the snapshots for 30 days. Though, somethimes to meet security standards you may need to keep your Bitbucket data for a longer period of time.

You may find this article useful on different Bitbucket Backup Strategies: https://gitprotect.io/blog/bitbucket-backup-strategies-backup-and-data-recovery-for-bitbucket/ 

Thank you,

Daria

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events