Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket pipelines AWS region

Ledion Bitincka April 12, 2018

I understand that bitbucket pipelines run in `us-east-1` and `us-west-1` (correct?)  We have a number of AWS assets that our code interacts with during testing and want to minimize network latency. Can we choose which AWS region the pipeline for a project executes?

Ideally we'd want to be able to use the same region as our assets, but might have to settle for not being cross-continet

1 answer

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2018

I'm not aware of a pipeline's AWS region being exposed in any way, or configurable even.

What about going the other way round: Assuming you are hosting your assets in an S3 bucket or via API's served by other AWS services, you could use Amazon CloudFront to deliver your assets with low latency and high transfer speeds?

Ledion Bitincka April 16, 2018

Right, we thought about that - but the assets in question is DynamoDB. We can certainly move the test db (at least the one used by pipelines) to a specific region but if we can't pin the tests to execute in one region (closets to assets) we're back to square 1

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

I see, being able to control the pipeline region would indeed be the least involved approach for this.

Just in case you haven't considered it, one alternative/workaround might be the new DynamoDB Global Tables feature (aka managed Cross-Region Replication) that is generally available as of recently. Given your use case seems latency sensitive, this might even imply a good test case for a resp. cross-continent production environment down the road.

Like Olve Hansen likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events