Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitBucket-Cloud: How to create template repositories?

Philippe Chaudun November 1, 2017

Hi,

I want to create templates of repository to be able to have the same branch permissions and any repository settings. That will save a lot of time and allow to spread easily a strong process.

I see that a tool (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ch.mibex.stash.templates/server/overview) is available on Atlassian Market Place, but only for BitBucket server, not for Bitbucket-cloud.

I thank you for your help.

Philippe

6 answers

5 votes
Lachlan Stewart November 30, 2020

+1000 this is pretty important if you are planning on using bitbucket for any CI/CD.

Forking your template repo can bring across your branches and branch model, but NOT permissions, pipeline enviornment, etc. etc

Its very time consuming and prone to error setting this stuff up by hand!

Repo template template template please!

5 votes
Eduardo Machado February 15, 2019

Hi,

I jusat wanted to know if there is any active plan to implement this. We even consider writting our app/plugin for this, but is just  doesn't seem to be possible with the current API for BB CLoud.

In any case, this sounds like a huge limitation to adopt any sort of standard practices at a large scale. The cloning of a repository is a very limited work around that can onlt work on very controlled environments.

Thanks,
Eduardo

2 votes
Eklas Aldwairi November 16, 2020

Hello,

I was wondering what is the latest on this?

is there a way to create template repo in cloud version? using GUI or API call?

thank you in advance

2 votes
Jon Kofal August 22, 2019

Agreed that lack of this feature is downgrading Bitbucket on our evaluation of cloud source code repos.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2019

Hi @Jon Kofal , please vote for the Feature request to record your interest on this feature. You can find it at Repository creation templates

Ana

Like # people like this
2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2017

Hi Philippe! At the moment, there's not such a feature in Bitbucket Cloud to create repository templates. As a workaround, what you can do is create a new repository with the settings you'd like it to have, clone it, and then copy it as many times as you need it. 

Hope that helps,

Ana

Philippe Chaudun November 9, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks a lot for your answer,

Sorry I just discover it. Not sure when you posted it!

Yes I already thought to use this workaround. I understand, except if I'm wrong, that this workaround will work for a new blank repository you are creating, but what about an existing repository hosted somewhere else we just want to transfer to BitBucket? Is this workaround working also? Or settings of existing will erase "template" settings?

PS: you said that "at the moment there's no such a feature in BitBucket" does it mean that could be the case in future update? If yes, when could we expect having it? I believe that the needs exist!

Thanks for your support.

Philippe

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2017

Hi Philippe, no worries!

Yes,  this workaround will work for a new blank repository you are creating, but it won't work for a repo you're transferring to Bitbucket. It's not possible to apply a template to an already existing repository. If you're importing an existing repo to Bitbucket, you'll need to set up the new settings/branches manually.

What I meant is that at the moment this is not something Bitbucket do, but that doesn't mean it will always be this way :) I don't know if this is something our developers are planning to implement, though, but we're open to suggestions. If you'd like, you can submit your idea as a Feature request to our public Issue tracker.

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Ana

Philippe Chaudun November 16, 2017

Hi Ana,

I thank you for your reply.

It's confirmed my understanding. So at least I understand main principles ;-)

As the tool exists for the server version on the Atlassian marketplace, I believed there is the same need for the Cloud version. So I'll suggest it in your public Issue Tracker.

Let see...

Thanks, for your support,

Philippe

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

Glad I could help you @Philippe Chaudun. Remember to 'watch' the suggestion once you create it, so you receive further updates in the future :)

Have good day!

Ana

0 votes
Tim Black April 19, 2021

I'm evaluating alternatives to our current SCM solution: an on-prem BB instance with Datacenter license. Migrating to BB Cloud is an obvious contender, but repository templates have significant value to us, and I do NOT see them on the BB Cloud Roadmap. Currently, this plugin provides this feature, but its only available for Server/DataCenter. 

So, to answer people's question: there is simply no update on this, it's still not on the roadmap for Cloud. My understanding is that Atlassian is now focused on trying to bring BB Cloud to feature parity with Server/Datacenter.

Michael Wanser March 1, 2022

No templates still.  i wouldnt recommend BB.  Lot of features not implemented and left in the " collecting votes" stage. 

Like # people like this
Mark Ciccarelli September 20, 2022

It's hard to believe that there is no way to save these settings into a template on BB Cloud so I don't have to go through the configuration process each I add a repository.  

Like Ray Chandler likes this
JSON May 23, 2023

Bitbucket is SO behind the times on nearly every aspect. We regret getting locked in with them years ago. We are undertaking a multi-year project to migrate to GitLab where basic functionality has been in place for years.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events