Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentation failure signing into bitbucket repo in VS 2017 Community, with Google account

residualfail August 21, 2017

I converted to a Google account a while ago for my BitBucket repos.  Since then I haven't been able to sync any commits to BitBucket in Visual Studio 2017 Community.

Error encountered while pushing branch to the remote repository: Git failed with a fatal error.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://bitbucket.org/<username>/<reponame>/'

I'm very unfamiliar with git so assume I know nothing about it.  Small words only please.  lol

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Chris, I'm assuming you're using Bitbucket Cloud. Are you able to log into Bitbucket with your Google account using the web UI?

If you can access Bitbucket but are still getting authentication error in Visual Studio, then most likely the credentials you entered in VS are wrong. I couldn't find specific instructions for VS 2017 Community, but I found the articles Using Git Bitbucket with Visual Studio 2017 and Connecting Visual Studio 2013 with Git Bitbucket that I hope can help you set up the credentials correctly.

Let us know if it works!

Best regards,

Ana

residualfail August 24, 2017

Thanks for the response, I did end up figuring it out though.  The login credentials it was looking for were my Atlassian credentials and not my Google or old BitBucket cloud credentials.

User error!

Like John Brandt likes this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Glad to hear that, Chris!

Have a nice day :)

Ana 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events