After I set up "two-step verification", I still can't enable pipelines

David_Dong2023 August 2, 2022

When I tried to switch the button "Enable pipelines", it prompted me to "Two-step verification is required to enable pipelines". After I set up two-step verification, I log out and log in using two-step verification, the prompt is still there.

How to handle it? 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2022

Hi @David_Dong2023 and @Lucas Mbiwe,

Bitbucket uses Atlassian accounts (the ones for https://id.atlassian.com/) for authentication.

At the moment, it is possible to set up 2FA both for a Bitbucket account (from this page: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/two-step-verification/manage) and also for the linked Atlassian account (from this page: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security).

In order to enable Pipelines, you need to enable 2FA for the Bitbucket account (instead of the Atlassian account).

It sounds like you may have enabled the Atlassian account 2FA, which is not taken into account when enabling Pipelines.

After you enable Bitbucket 2FA, you may want to disable Atlassian account 2FA, in order to avoid entering a 2FA code twice when logging in to Bitbucket.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Lucas Mbiwe August 9, 2022

Thank you for clarifying this, @Theodora Boudale. Makes perfect sense. 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2022

You are very welcome Lucas, please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

simon.scarpa August 14, 2022

This worked for me, thanks

Varick Johnson September 3, 2022

not working for me please help me asap im frustrated due to this

Varick Johnson September 3, 2022

anyone there

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2022
0 votes
Patrick Henninger July 31, 2023

Also do not forget to confirm the email address after you click "enable 2fa".

0 votes
Lucas Mbiwe August 4, 2022

@David_Dong2023, I ran into the exact same problem. That's how I found your question.

When I double-checked my 2FA setup up in my account settings, it looked as if I hadn't set it up yet, although I had just logged in using a 2FA code from my authenticator app.

I then scanned the QR code with my authenticator app again. Interestingly, the first time I did it the app set the entry up as ‘Atlassian’ with my email address as user name, the second time it resulted in ‘Bitbucket’ with my Atlassian user name as the user name. I'm pretty sure I did the exact same thing as the first time, but obviously the result was a different one. 🤷🏽

The good news is after the second time setting up 2FA I was able to enable the pipelines in my project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events