Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup

Emanuele Cappelletto July 11, 2022

Hello Community,

today my manager ask me: if tomorrow there were issues on Atlassian, how can we restore our the codes? or the knowledge from confluence? and roadmap from Jira?

The answer was: I don't know, all data are in cloud and Atlassian provides a SAAS model then the backup and restore tasks are included.

If I write wrong information, please help me to understand how can I do the backup of the atlassian suite (confluence, bitbuckued and jira) in a destination.

Thank you.

2 comments

Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ July 11, 2022

Hey Emanuele, Atlassian provides backup of all cloud services on the service level, based on their shared responsibility model. 

It means that they have a backup of your data, and they will be able to restore it during their outage.

Simplifying in the shared responsibility model users are responsible for providing protection of their critical data on the account level. It's hard to make Atlassian (or any cloud provider) responsible for mistakes of your users, accidental data deletion, poor security practices or cyber / malware attacks targeting your company (not their service).

Therefore they recommend setting up a backup for critical data for both cloud and on-premise deployments. You could use a built-in mechanism, write your own scripts or use dedicated solutions like Gitprotect.io. 

Gitprotect automates backups and on-demand data recovery for Bitbucket & JIRA (we have Confluence on the roadmap for H2, 2022), so you could save engineering time and meet your compliance and regulatory needs quickly. 

p.s. If you are looking for the best backup practices for cloud tools this article would be helpful for you.

If you would like to know more about it happy to set up a call and answer your questions. 

Emanuele Cappelletto July 13, 2022

Thank you Piotr for this message.

I am discussing the solution with my manager, if he like it I will contact you

Maria Korolenko March 13, 2023

Hello @Emanuele Cappelletto 

You are correct to be worried If something happens to your data due to human error or account-level disaster, Atlassian won't likely restore it. 

If you want to go with a single app that covers it all, I'd recommend Rewind. We backup Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket. GitHub as well if you're using it.

Jira Service Management and Jira Work Management are included in Jira backups. 

The Atlassian team recommends us as their third-party backups for Confluence.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events