Save time with default pull request descriptions

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2019

Hello community!

I'm excited to share that one of our mostly highly voted feature requests for pull requests in Bitbucket Cloud recently shipped: default pull request description templates.

This feature saves times for both authors and reviewers. By providing a template of information to fill out, authors can open pull requests faster with less guesswork. And more information in the description helps reviewers understand changes faster.

You can set a default description in your repository settings. Happy coding!

Alastair
Bitbucket PM

9 comments

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2019

Hi @Alastair Wilkes

Thank for the present :) 

Cheers,

Gonchik 

Tyler January 2, 2019

Awesome!

Are there any variables available? I would like to be able to list commits as before but with extra options.

Best,

Tyler

Like # people like this
Antoine Letouzey April 4, 2019

same question. can we access source/target branch names, list of commits, ect ?

Like # people like this
Sebastian Penhouet December 4, 2023

As this was left unanswered by @Alastair Wilkes, here a new discussion thread: Variables in default pull request descriptions? (atlassian.com)

Alexei Ferreira February 26, 2019

Great!

Will this feature be added on bitbucket server too? If so do you have a date already?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Apologies for the very late reply, but you can watch this public issue tracking this request for Bitbucket Server: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/BSERV/issues/BSERV-8663

Thanks!

Jonas De Kegel March 4, 2020

"gathering interest"... 

Juergen Lanner February 22, 2021

... watching a dead horse which starved only 5 year ago ...

alrocha February 25, 2021

Hello @Alastair Wilkes,
in that link that you have shared (a year old and 352 votes, ain't is enough to develop that feature? asking without any idea of how you measure acceptance of requests) would that include Bitbucket Data Center Instance?  

Deleted user June 14, 2019

Doesn't seem like questions are being answered here, but I'll throw mine in, too: is this feature only available on a repo-by-repo basis? I'd love to not enter the same default description a dozen times.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Hi Ross,

For some reason, I have not been receiving email updates for this post. My apologies. At this time, it's just a repository level setting.

Thanks,

Alastair

Rupert Broad October 29, 2019

Would be even better if you could have a markdown file in the root of the repo that populated this Description automatically. Just like Github does.

Like # people like this
Des January 9, 2020

@Alastair Wilkes How do I enable this for BitBucket Server? Thanks.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Hi Des,

Thanks for your question. This feature is not available for Bitbucket Server, but you can watch this public issue to learn more about its status: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/BSERV/issues/BSERV-8663

Thanks,

Alastair

Like Des likes this
duy9403 January 10, 2020

Hello @Alastair Wilkes ,

When using this feature, the list of commits is replaced by the default description. Is there possibility to add option to append the list of commits after default description, or I should create a suggest ?

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hi,

There is an open feature request for this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-17743

Thanks,

Alastair

Like duy9403 likes this
Jody Tate April 14, 2021

Our team would like to see the ability to set a default PR template for multiple repos at once, e.g., the ability to set a default PR at a workspace level. 

Amit Alon August 17, 2022

Hello @Alastair Wilkes,

in the Bitbucket repo setting page, under Pull request description template there are 2 options on the template behavior to choose from:

Use the commit history as the default description
or
Create a custom description template

As others asked before I am asking as well: Is there a way to combine both options, i.e. allow adding custom description template on top of (above) the commit history, as the default description provided for each PR?

I am sure that doing this change will greatly help many developers around the world, and since both options are already implemented by Atlassian, adding the ability to combine them can be done easily by Bitbucket developers.

...And if this ability is already available, please explain how to use it.

Adding also @Christian Glockner and @Graham Gatus as ATLASSIAN TEAM reps, since I am not sure if @Alastair Wilkes, is still working at Atlassian - his replies are very old.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events