Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make running Pipeline deployment for none technical personnel easier?

michaeltefera April 3, 2019

I was wondering if it is possible to make running a pipeline manually, for some one who is not tech savvy, easier.

Normally if one wanted to run pipeline manually they have to go to branch > click on the menu of that branch > select "run pipeline for the branch" > select config > run.

These steps could be overwhelming for some people and I wanted to create a way to just open a page and find a button that says something like "DEPLOY".

Something similar to what Bamboo used to offer.

Thank You.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hi Michael,

Sounds like a good idea. It's a decent journey through the UI to trigger a pipeline.

One alternative way to trigger a manual pipeline (although still jumping through several pages), is the Commits page -> Select the specific revision -> Select "run pipeline for the commit" -> Select config -> Run.

Alternatively, since your use-case seems to be having a Deploy button. Have a look at our Deployments feature and see if that helps. That has a dashboard with easier to find "Deploy" buttons.

Just to get a bit more contextual understanding. What's the background are the non-tech savvy users in this case? Are they new team members? Or just people that are still getting their heads around Git + CI/CD + Docker + Bitbucket? (A lot to learn at once) Are they developers or do they have another primary role?

If you'd like, can I get you to open a feature request here. As this is where our PMs track requests and other users can vote/comment on the tickets.

Thanks,

Phil

michaeltefera April 8, 2019

Hi Philip;

Thanks for the reply.

The primary role of the users I am referring to is Content Management. They use Netlify to manage contents. They want to see their changes once they are done. Making the pipelines be triggered on commit is causing too much build tasks too fast.
It would be nice to have the option to run tasks easily on demand.

Or alternatively I don't mind them going through all those steps (they could learn to do so) if I can restrict them from Running Production Builds.

Thank You.

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Perhaps you can see if adding Deployment Permissions to the production deployment. You'll be able to set up a deployment step for production which can only be triggered by repository admins.

Like michaeltefera likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events