Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition a Jira workflow when Bamboo deploys to environment

John March 13, 2019

We're using our own hosted Bamboo to deploy our code to environments and we're using cloud hosted Jira.

I'm trying to get it so that when Bamboo deploys to our production environment it transitions the Jira issues to "Released".

It seems like our Bamboo and Jira are both already nicely connected together:

- Our Bamboo can correctly see which issues a release relates to

- Our Jira can correctly see the deployments an issue has been deployed to (see where it says "Deployed to ...").

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 10.56.27.png

So, what I did was edit our workflow to add an extra step called Released:

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 10.59.34.png

I then edit the transition for that step and added triggers like this:

1. Add trigger

2. Choose "Deployment successful"

3. The form appears and has correctly found my Bamboo server and release projects.

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 11.02.00.png

I repeat this to add 3 triggers (we have 3 different Deployment projects for 3 different components of our system).

But nothing happens... The Deployment suceeds and in Bamboo I can see it has has listed the right Jira issue under "Issues"

But the issue never gets transitioned to "Released" in Jira.

There is nothing of note in the Bamboo error logs.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2019

Hi @John

I was able to follow your description and reproduce this scenario. Thank you for sharing a detailed description of the issue. It is indeed a bug.

Our issue tracker already has a bug report for this problem as you can see below:

I was thinking of options to work around this issue by using Jira REST API (as shared in this post Solved: JIRA- How to change issue status via rest?) but I'm afraid that it will be challenging to decide when to trigger and what issues should be triggered in Jira automatically from a build.

I think that I would keep the manual deployment until this problem is fixed.

John March 21, 2019

Thanks very much - good to know. I will keep an eye on the bug report.

Alternatively, implementing https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-42177 would be part of the way there as we could then at least query/report on issues which have been deployed. 

John March 21, 2019

Oh wait, that issue has been resolved...

I was under the impression it was not possible to query the `development` column in JQL? Maybe I'm wrong?

Basically we can *see* in Jira issue navigator where an issue has been deployed, I just can't figure out how to query on it.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2019

Hi @John

I'm sorry for the delay. The bug you saw resolved is for Jira server. Jira cloud still has the same issue, unfortunately. This the bug reporting it for Jira cloud is [JRACLOUD-42177] Ability to view Bamboo builds and deployments in JIRA issue navigator. So, in this case, the feature is not available.

John April 1, 2019

Thanks for your reply.

So in summary, a feature which is still in the UI doesn't work and has been on the To-Do list for a year and a potential workaround is implemented but not for the cloud product.

I get the sense that Bamboo is not very high on Atlassian's priority any more. Is that the case?

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2019

Hi @John

Let me try to give you my perspective on this subject, which may clarify things a bit. First I want to fix what I wrongly said before, it is not a bug, but a feature request. Details about the integration with other products were priorly shown in the development panel and later with a feature request, they were implemented in JQL as well for Jira server. The room for improvement I see here is to understand why it was not yet implemented in Jira cloud. I believe there are technical reasons for that.

Since this is a feature request, we are following the Implementation of New Features Policy to decide if/when it will be implemented. 

I get the sense that Bamboo is not very high on Atlassian's priority any more. Is that the case?

What my experience says is that it has nothing to do with business priorities on Bamboo. It is just a feature request that is not very popular if compared with others and for this reason (and technical ones) it was not yet implemented on the cloud.

I'll flag that to our Jira development team to check if they have something to share about this.

John April 2, 2019

Thanks Daniel, I appreciate your reply.

Just to be clear, when I was talking about a bug I was actually referring to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16754. This is the showstopper for us. I think it's fair to say that this is definitely a bug as its a feature which appears in the UI of Jira which is not working.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-42177 was just really a possible workaround to the above. If the above was fixed, we wouldn't care about about this one.

Thanks again for your perspective and other info.

Cheers,

John

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2019

Hi @John

Thank you very much for your feedback and comprehension. Yes, I didn't quite understand your reply and thought you were talking about a different issue. It all makes sense now. Thank you for taking the time to clarify it.

I've raised the flag to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16754 internally and now we need to wait and rely on what is prioritized for them.

John April 5, 2019

Thanks for your help!

cmorlock November 13, 2019

@Daniel Santos  @John 

What version of JIRA supports the "deployment successful" trigger? Is it available on the server version of JIRA? That trigger would be super helpful, but it doesn't show up in the triggers list for the transitions.

Like Dario Pedol likes this
Tobias F December 21, 2020

Well, it seems Bamboo deployment triggers have been deprecated. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16754Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.05.09 AM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events