Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Bamboo under domain account broke installation

Damir Reic June 11, 2020

Hi, I installed bamboo (latest server) with default settings and it worked. I wanted to change user to domain one and now it won't start anymore. If I revert server user back to "local service" I get error that health check didn't pass and I should contact support.

I've run previous major version just fine on windows with domain user. Look to be ver7 issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Damir Reic June 11, 2020

You need to take ownership of bamboo home user with user that want to run service with.

0 votes
Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Hey Damir,

You are right on your observation. If you are starting Bamboo as a service, you might be experiencing a permission issue due to some changes in Bamboo 7.0 startup service. There are some security changes made to Tomcat, including running as a local service user instead of a local system account. The local service user has a lower authorization level than the local system account so it’s likely many of the files cannot be read and thus you may as well not see any entries in the log file. 

To verify if this is the case, after upgrading to Bamboo 7.x, users are recommended to check as which user Bamboo service is configured with. Then, if not a local user, adjust the configuration to be a local user who owns the Bamboo home directory. This is also described in this page: Running Bamboo as a Windows Service as the Local User

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jey

Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

I just wrote an article to share this with a broader audience:

Thanks for bringing this up.

Cheers,
Jey

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events