Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I prevent Bamboo branch plans from executing upon creation?

Jeff_Schaeffer January 17, 2019

I want a release branch to be created from my release build so it's available for developers to create any needed hotfix branches.   However, I don't want the (newly created release branch) branch plan to execute just upon branch creation.  Only upon the first commit (via pull request from hotfix branch)

How can I stop that execution upon creation?

2 answers

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

Unfortunately the option to "Don't execute upon initial branch detection" is not yet available - please watch and vote for the following issue to raise Atlassian's priority to address this limitation:

0 votes
Foong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2019

The latest Bamboo have the option When pull request is created for Automatic branch creation.

Which mean the release branch plan will only be created in Bamboo if there is a pull request created.

For more information, refer to Automatic branch management

Jeff_Schaeffer January 18, 2019

Understand and thanks for the thought but that doesn't do the job.  My release branch (created upon merge with master) is to be 'branched from' for any potential hotfix branches.  This release branch needs to be present to avoid confusion if hotfixes are needed (creating a hotfix branch from the release branch).  I want the new release branch plan created upon release branch creation but not executed.  Then upon hotfix pull request merge into the release branch, I want the branch plan to execute automatically. 

I attempted your change, making the branch plan to be created only upon pull request.  The results were not what I wanted and a little concerning:

- A branch plan was created... from the hotfix branch, not the release branch.

- No branch plan was created for the release branch

This leaves me with having multiple hotfix branches/plans (which may not ever be integrated back to master) and each coming from the base release .vs. building upon each other in a release branch (without additional scripting).

I just want a 'Don't execute upon initial branch detection' option

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events