Did you mean: 

Bamboo stops executing a plan if one stage fails

Archie Sangole March 2, 2023

I have 4 stages in the bamboo plan.

Stage-1: checks out and downloads the binaries 

Stage-2: has 2 jobs that run tests in parallel on 2 devices

Stage-3: has 2 jobs that also runs tests in parallel on 2 devices

Stage-4: collect all the results and publish them

If stage-2 fails because a device went down due to which tests were not executed - the bamboo job stops and does not go to stage-3.  

How can I get around this? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2023

Stages are meant to run only if the previous stage was successful.

If you do need to run a stage whatever the outcome of the other stages is you need to use a final stage. This has been described on Using stages in a plan  too.

In my case, stage-4 is the final stage where it collects all the results from stages 2 and 3. Stage-3 does not execute because stage-2 failed. I cannot combine stages-2 and 3 because I only have 2 devices. Stage-2 runs frontend tests on the 2 devices and stage-3 runs backend tests on the same 2 devices. 

If I were to merge them then there is the risk of running frontend and backend tests on the same device in parallel  -  which will not work. 

Any suggestions on how I can effectively reduce test run-time?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2023
If stage-2 fails because a device went down due to which tests were not executed 

Can you make sure the device does not go down? If only 3 out of 4 test jobs were executed you will have to rerun them anyway I think?

Any suggestions on how I can effectively reduce test run-time?

I'm afraid this this exceed my knowledge. It will also depend on the type of tests and technology you are using.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Thank you for the suggestions Charlie. I am currently working on a solution to detect and power-up any of the device(s) that go down. In that way, we can power-up the device that went down and then re-run the plan. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events