Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bamboo - NUnit Parser XML format

What version of NUnit xml does the NUnit Parser require? I am able to run a custom script, that generates a TestResult.xml file, and the file is located. I can see in the file that most tests passed, none fail, and 2 are skipped. But in Bamboo, wherever the NUnit Parser reports the results, it claims every test has been skipped. My only explanation is that the XML format must not match. I am using NUnit Console v 3.10

3 answers

0 votes
Foong Atlassian Team Apr 15, 2019

Do you mean Bamboo shows more than 2 skipped?

Bamboo does not show passed test number. If it is only 2 skipped shown, what is the "Total tests" (there is a part that shows the total number of tests) shown in Bamboo? 

Atlassian Bamboo version 6.4.1 build 60405

Foong Atlassian Team Apr 16, 2019

Does the test case part have executed value?

<test-case ...etc... executed="True">

Hi @Foong ,

I'm not the original author, but I am experiencing the same "skipped test" behavior.  In my case, no, there is no "executed" value (see sample <test-case/>, below):

<test-case name="AMPSExceptionConstructorTest()" fullname="AMPS.Client.Tests.AMPSExceptionTest.AMPSExceptionConstructorTest" methodname="AMPSExceptionConstructorTest" classname="AMPS.Client.Tests.AMPSExceptionTest" result="Passed" duration="0.01" asserts="0" />

In my case, I ran NUnit 3 from a linux job using using the the .Net Core 2.2 framework and using the following package references to test & produce NUnit results files:

<ItemGroup>
<PackageReference Include="nunit" Version="3.10.1" />
<PackageReference Include="NUnit3TestAdapter" Version="3.10.0" />
<PackageReference Include="NunitXml.TestLogger" Version="2.1.36" />
<PackageReference Include="Microsoft.NET.Test.Sdk" Version="15.5.0" />

Failed tests show up properly, but any passing tests are instead marked as skipped.

FWIW, it appears that we are using Bamboo v6.2.3, if that factors into NUnit 2 vs 3 format support.

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Apr 15, 2019

@Brandon Stack I can't speak for the version of NUnit supported by the parser as we use that parser to read XUnit test results.  However, if you are getting results displayed it might not be the parsing of the results that is the issue, but the running of the NUnit tests on the Bamboo server.  Have you checked the build output while the unit tests are running to see if they are being run or skipped?

This is a snippet example of what I can see in my own logs:

build 02-Apr-2019 14:29:04      Common.Tests                     Total:  224, Errors: 0, Failed: 0, Skipped: 8, Time:   8.984s

And yes we legitimately have 8 tests that are being skipped at the moment.

I hope that helps.

-James

We did eventually figured this out. The answer was that we needed to use NUNit2 Format. We had tried formatting that way unsuccessfully and after going back over, a team member of mine noticed the example code had a bash control character in it (the ';', must have been meant for Windows). We enclosed it with double quotes:

--result="test-results/$x.xml;format=nunit2"

Now it works and picks up all of the tests. Thank you for the replies!

To clarify my update, we are using NUnit.ConsoleRunner.3.9.0, and that needed to output the nunit2 format to work with our Bamboo agent's NUnit parser. 

Foong Atlassian Team Apr 15, 2019

What is the Bamboo version? NUnit 3 supposed to work in Bamboo 5.14+ BAM-12433

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bamboo

Bamboo 101 Video

G’day Community! As we gear up to introduce Bamboo Data Center to the world, we wanted to make sure that we shared a bit more about Bamboo, the product. Our team has put together an overview video ...

190 views 4 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you