Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating the remaining estimate of parent issue

Martin Kovalcik February 3, 2022

Is there a way how to automate updating the remaining estimate of parent issue when work log is created on subtask?

1 answer

3 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

This thread explores how you might go about that.

(Tip: using the community search, in this case for "automation remaining", can help uncover answers more quickly.)

But I really suggest you consider this question first: Do you really want to automate that?

I see the biggest value of the Remaining Estimate field to be having a human re-evaluate that whenever time is logged. Why? Because usually the Original Estimate is wrong.

Having been a developer, and having had to estimate my work, and then log my time, we know this to be true empirically. Any Original Estimates is a guess based on incomplete information.

Consider this... If I thought a Story was going to take me 3 hours, but it only takes me 1 hour, I would log time for 1 hour, set the Remaining Estimate to zero, and transition the issue onward.

Do you really want to bake into your process that instead the issue will get auto-set to "2 hours remaining" after logging that first hour? How many of your remote employees might see that as an opportunity to watch a few more episodes of their favorite show, instead of working on something else? My point is: that's a bad process.

If you really don't care about Remaining Estimate, maybe don't use it at all?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

What @Mykenna Cepek said.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events