Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

story point estimate is not found when sum story points of all subtasks with automation

Michael WANG September 6, 2022

Hi ,

i want to sum story points with automation in jira, and made this logic. 

Action details:

Issue condition

The following issues passed:
PORTAL-475

Edit issue

Additional fields contains invalid field(s) in 'update' or 'fields' section.
Story point estimate

i checked it, there is no "story point estimate" field for user story and task backend, but there is for web frontend.  but it's ok for subtaks. which field i should use?

how can i fix it ? many thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Michael WANG 

for better understanding and further investigation: could you please explain what you are trying to solve with your automation rule from a use case perspective? What is your setting? when should the rule be triggered? which issues do you have in place? which story points from where would you like to sum and whaat for? what should they be used for?

Could you also share a screenshot of your current automation rule?

Best
Stefan

Michael WANG September 7, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl ,

what I want to do is to sum the story points of all subtasks automatically for one user story or task. and I created a new automation rule for it. and I activated the "story points" for estimation in the project setting=>feature.

I will attach the screenshot I have made in the automation rule.222.png

The issue comes in the 3rd step "Edit issue fields", I can't find the "Story point estimate" in the dropdown list. and so, the rule can't run well. 

looking forward to your solutions!

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Is your project team-managed or company-managed?

Could you please also share a screenshot of the configuration of your "edit issue fields" action?

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

Guess I´ve got the problem already:

There is a different field for the estimation in team-managed and company-managed projects.

Within team-managed projects this field is called "Story point estimation". Unfortunately (as you already pointed out correctly) this cannot be chosen in the dropdown field so the advanced edit function via JSON needs to be used. I tried this in my environment and it worked (see the screenshot):

image.png

I´ll add this here as text so you can copy this directly:

{
"fields": {
"Story point estimate": {{issue.subtasks.Story point estimate.sum}}
}

Please give it a shot and let me know if it works.

Best
Stefan

@Stefan Salzl 

I am not sure whether is project team-managed or company-managed.  the admin create a project for me in the corporation environment. which one it should be? or where can check it?

333.png

you can see the "Story point estimate" is prodived by jira, can't be modified.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

Hi @Michael WANG 

Thanks for the information and the screenshot. As the screenshot looks like it´s a team-managed project. I already assumed this. Please find the description and solution in my last answer above ;)

Hi @Stefan Salzl 

i've tried, but it doesn't work for me. act log attached.

444.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

@Michael WANG 

Could you please share a screenshot of your edit issue field action?

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

Further question:
Which issue type is the issue "PORTAL-485" that should be edited in your audit log screenshot?

From your former screenshot of issue types settings I can see that there is a field "Story point estimate" in issue type "Story".

Best
Stefan

@Stefan Salzl  thx for your support.

1. the edit issue field action screenshotScreen Shot 2022-09-07 at 20.21.53.png
  2. the issue type of "portal-485" is a subtask, you can see it in the screenshotScreen Shot 2022-09-07 at 20.23.37.png

I have no idea why it doesn't work for me. I need your help!

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

Ok. Thanks for your input. The edit issue fields action looks different now to your initial post as it now only shows "advanced" option (formerly: Story Points).

Let´s do a live example for investigation. If possible please try to reproduce as follows:

• create a story in your project
  • within the story create Subtask 1 and add "Story point estimate" = 5
  • within the story create Subtask 2 and add "Story point estimate" = 5
  • re-open Subtask 1 and change Story point estimate to 10 --> this should trigger your rule
  • please add the output of the audit log of this activation of your rule here

Best
Stefan

Bagas Setyo Wicaksono July 23, 2023

I have a similar problem, following your steps. After I tried your suggestion before, it still shows like this.Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 10.54.50.pngScreenshot 2023-07-24 at 10.54.59.pngScreenshot 2023-07-24 at 10.55.13.pngScreenshot 2023-07-24 at 10.55.25.png 

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2023

Hi @Bagas Setyo Wicaksono 

I could not reproduce this. If it still doesn´t work on your side could you also try to use the option via "customfield_id" instead of the fields name? On my side this looks like the following:

image.png

In case neither of these options works I would recommend to raise a support ticket with atlassian support.

Best
Stefan

Bagas Setyo Wicaksono October 18, 2023

Hi @Stefan Salzl 

somehow I can't find the customfield_id because it seems like not a custom field.

Do I need to be an admin to raise a ticket?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events