Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Field value changed" trigger needs trigger conditions to stop false triggers

Alex Adland June 18, 2021

I'm using the "field value changed" trigger to find when a custom field has been changed.  My issue is the custom field in question is used by 6 issue types and I am only interested when it changes for 1 of those 6 issue types.

So what I'm finding is, because the issue type condition is read after the initial trigger caused by the field changing in any of the 6 issue types, I am getting a lot of false triggers, which clearly wastes my allocated trigger quota.

I've looked at a manual trigger or scheduled trigger but because the field in question is a custom field, I cannot use a JQL query to find the issues of the required issue type that have been updated.

Has anyone else come across a similar false trigger issue due to no conditions on the actual trigger, and if so did you find a solution?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Hi @Alex Adland ,

Well it's not so much that it's a false trigger it's more that the trigger itself cannot be configured specific enough.

You can indeed only say 

• what field
  • for what action

but other than that you'll have to write some logic to only continue the trigger based on the issue type. I'm assuming you've done that and since it has to evaluate that IF clause it will be one of your exeuctions.

i'd suggest logging a call for this at https://support.atlassian.com/contact to enhance the trigger. Without any enhancement, I feel you are "stuck" with creating it as a project specific trigger of which you have unlimited executions.

If you do need it as a Global rule well then I don't really see a solution with Automation.

Alex Adland June 18, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans 

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes your assumptions are correct regarding my automation has the logic to target the required issue type.

However I did now know that project automations had unlimited executions, I was being lazy and created a global rule as it is looking across 70+ projects.  As a workaround I can convert the automation to project based for all required projects.

I'll also raise an enhancement request for the trigger to be configurable.

Many thanks for the great information.

Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events