Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i send the transition of a workflow as a link in an email?

Giorgi Tsitsvidze March 12, 2021

hi 
i need your help :)

can i send the transition of a workflow in an email with jira automation  , or without automation rule?

i think in email will be jira link and if i klick on it, issue will transition from one status to another

if it possible how can i do this ? ... thnx . 

Edit *   - i have jira server ... 

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Pascher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2024

With Jira 9.12 this works: 

https://<jiralink>/secure/CommentAssignIssue!default.jspa?id=<issueid>&action=<actionid>

2 votes
Answer accepted
Giorgi Tsitsvidze March 16, 2021

if someone need solution for this question ...
first we need copy transition URL - right click mouse on button and - copy link address

this address will be like URL  / issue iD / action

https some.jira.com/secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa?id=174289&action=151&tl_tokn=a283400fb7a985dd87773f24b21e05b64dec312a50fe629f4863cff957ca72496d18c6d13df_lin

this url will be same for another issue , different will be only Id

i used Automation for Jira and send email with this content

https some.jira.com/secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa?id={{issue.id}}&action=151&tl_tokn=a283400fb7a985dd87773f24b21e05b64dec312a50fe629f4863cff957ca72496d18c6d13df_lin

good luck :) 

action -  ID Will be different depending on which status issue is and which status you want to change

Makareswar Rout August 30, 2022

atl_token varies for each issue. Please check.

Petr Bartusek June 5, 2023

Hi @Giorgi Tsitsvidze 
Is this still working or this was removed together with oldIssueView?

Thanks for answer in advance.

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2021

From what i can tell, you are wanting the transition to occur based on clicking a link/button in an email.

But what would the trigger be to send that email? If there is a trigger to send an email to transition an issue, then the better option would be to get the automation to do the transition (as alluded to by @Alexander Pappert ) and send an email advising the transition has occurred.

Giorgi Tsitsvidze March 15, 2021

hello curt , 

thank you for your answer and time . 

i have Jira server , not Cloud . 

the trigger will be "creation of task" when "When an issue is created" ... 

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2021

So, when issue created you want an email to go to someone advising they should transition that issue?

If that transition is known, then automate that. or modify the workflow so that issues (or that issue type) defaults to the right status.

If certain issues need to be transitioned upon creation, then the current workflow is not optimised.....if the workflow cannot be changed (for some reason) then automate the transition. The whole email is redundant as the automation should do the work/transition. Sending an email for someone to then manually (via an email) do the transition is missing the point of the power of the automation, is it not??

yes curt ... i need to send this email only with one person , and only this person Will be able to start this issue ( change status from backlog to Todo or approved status ...  )  

when scrum master create epic issue , epic owner must approve this task  ... 

i already sending issue URL  {{issue.url}} , but if i can send transition link it will be great ...

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2021

Right! that makes sense @Giorgi Tsitsvidze 

glad to see you have it sorted as well. Nice one!

Like Giorgi Tsitsvidze likes this
0 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2021

hello alexander ,
thank you for your answer 
this is a solution for cloud , i have jira server ...
edited question ...  

i will try with smart-values ....  thank you again for your time ... 

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2021

@Giorgi Tsitsvidze 

automation is also available on server

as paid or lite version

yes we have already automation for jira app on server, but i don't understand how send in email transition link using app ... :(

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2021

look in my screen from the fist post

alexander thank you for your answer  , but i think u dont understood what really i need to do ...  

because this information is not interesting for me -
changelog - "when an issue is transitioned you can see what status the issue transitioned from."

let me explain again ... 
i need to send email with transition link , 
when recipient click on this link , jira issue change status from 1 status to another (next status) ... 

i need to send this email when issue create , and link will be - for change status from backlog to approved or rejected status...

i have question - is it executable or not , with jira automation or without this app ...

best regards
Giorgi

Rolf Lader
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

@Giorgi TsitsvidzeI face the same challenge. Have you ever found a solution?

Regards, Rolf

Like Petr Bartusek likes this
Klaus Foerschl January 26, 2023

From time to time i also wish to have this.
And, yes, even after reading all the comments above, I'm still convinced there are use cases where this makes sense.
So, we all are desperately waiting for someone providing us with the solution :-)

Klaus

Like Petr Bartusek likes this
Christian Pascher
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2024

With Jira 9.12 this works: 

https://<jiralink>/secure/CommentAssignIssue!default.jspa?id=<issueid>&action=<actionid>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events