Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Dedicated Slack Channel panel's relationship with the Jira Issue?

Hans August 30, 2020

I would like to set up an automation with the action of sending an alert when a Dedicated Slack Channel is added to a particular issue type.

The problem is that I can't understand what the relationship is between the Dedicated Slack Channel panel is to the Jira issue itself, so I don't know what trigger/conditions to use to set up this automation.

It's not a field in the issue's JSON, and updating that panel (adding/removing a channel) does not appear in the history or activity of the issue, so they seem to be completely disconnected.

Could someone help me understand the relationship and how to access the associated smart value, if there is one?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2020

Hello @Hans ,

Currently the Jira Server for Slack app doesn't write values to the issue during dedicated channel creation that Automation would be able to trigger on. It uses a custom event that doesn't trigger the "issue updated" event in Jira.

The app is open source and the code is publicly available. This is the event that runs when a new dedicated channel is created. The event could be modified to trigger an issue updated event. This could be done on a local copy of the app, and/or a pull request submitted to the repo to have the app updated in Marketplace.

Cheers,
Daniel

wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2020

While it's tempting to add a customer trigger for this, I think making the Slack plugin trigger the issue updated event is the more correct route. I'm going to mark this as the correct answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events