Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want to copy a Description field value from template issue to the current issue or trigger issue

Villarasan September 7, 2022

We are trying to create a automation rule to copy the field value from the template issue to the current /trigger issue, please suggest us some ideas to implement this. We did used the JQL to locate the template issue key and added a edit issue action, but stuck in writing a JSON code to copy the description field value from template issue to the trigger issue.

2 answers

2 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

@Villarasan 

No need to use JSON at all in this case. Just choose the Description field from the "Choose fields to set" picklist, then click the options (the 3 dots) for it and select Copy from trigger issue.

2022-09-08 11_46_07-Automation -.png

Hi Curt, I want the description value from the current issue (JT-388) should be updated to Trigger Issue, so exactly opposite to your solution. please help me in getting that reverse update.

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Villarasan ,

could you please share a screenshot of your rule or how far you got so far?

Furthermore: you could also choose the description field from the dropdown in your edit issue action and use a smart value to copy the description of your template issue.

Best
Stefan

Thanks for your response Stefan. I just did that, but I am not sure how to get the description value of template issue (JT-388). attaching the screenshot of the rule.

desc template copy.JPG

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2022

Hi @Villarasan 

The JQL branch moves issue scope to the issue(s) that are the result of your jql. Hence: everything within the branch will be processed on these issues. 

It looks like you are running on Server/DC. Unfortunately the lookupIssue action is not available there (as far as I know). In cloud I would use this action to store your template issue in a smart value and invoke in the edit issue action.

What comes to my mind would be an API call (via send webrequest action) that selects the required template issue and using it´s result within the edit issue action.

See the documentation in the link below:
https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-example-query-issues-6291606/

Best
Stefan

Villarasan September 8, 2022

Yes Stefan, we are using Jira Data Center version. Let me try the Web request action. If you have any examples it will be great!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events