Using JIRA Automation to find Issues where the Assignee matches the Assignee on a defined Issue

kspeight November 2, 2021

Hello.  I am looking to create a JIRA Automation job to peform the following function.  I am making progress but am having some troubles getting it to work properly.

1. Scheduled Automation job that runs once a day with a JQL that identifies any OPEN Issues of a certain type (e.g. "Agent on Leave" issue type).  The number of open issues of this type should be small at any given time (maybe 2 or 3)
  2. Use the "Lookup" function to search for all open issues within the same JIRA Project as point 1 above
  3. Compare the Assignee of the Issues in point 2 above to the Assignee of the issues in Point 1 above and identify the issues in point 2 that are the same
  4. Email specific JIRA agents a list of issues in Point 2 above that have the same Assignee as the issues in Point 1 above

I'm having trouble comparing the Assignee field between these two lists of issues.   Appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Kevin

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2021

Hi @kspeight 

I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to accomplish. 

Would you please post images of your rule (including JQL details, audit log, and conditions) and explain how it is not working as expected?  That may provide more context for the community to offer suggestions  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2021

Hi @kspeight 

Just checking in if you solved this issue already. 

If not, have you tried comparing the {{triggerIssue.assignee}} to the {{lookupIssues.assignee}} using JQL?  For example,

• trigger: scheduled on JQL
    • project = myProjectName AND issueType = "Agent on Leave" AND statusCategory != "Done"
  • action: lookup issues on JQL
    • project = myProjectName AND statusCategory != "Done" AND assignee = {{triggerIssue.assignee}}
  • advanced compare condition: check if there are any with {{lookupIssues.size|0}} greater than 0
    • action: email the information for the issues, such as:
Hey, team!

There are open issues assigned to:
{{triggerIssue.assignee.displayName}}
and they are on leave!

Here are the issues:
<ul>
{{#lookupIssues}}
<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}} - {{summary}}</a></li>
{{/}}
</ul>

Kind regards,