Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Epic Link via automation

Sean Wiese August 17, 2020

I am new to Jira Automation, and working on a scenario where on a transition, I am creating linked tickets. The original ticket is part of an epic, and I would like that epic to also be on the newly created tickets. 

Happy to provide additional details. 

screenshot is the relevant portion I am stuck on. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 5.36.01 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2020

Hey there Sean,

You should be able to set the Original estimate and the Epic Link in the Create issue action itself without need the extra Edit actions. You need to set the value of the Epic Link to the "Trigger issue"

If editing the Epic Link isn't working, are you using a NextGen project? They deal with Epic Links differently to Classic projects

Cheers,

Mark C

Sean Wiese August 18, 2020

Mark - that was def my first choice to set all the things in the create. but I ended up with the edit action since that seemed the only way to get the Orig Est field to work.

added details of the create and the whole trigger. 

Not using a next-gen project. 

I may just not be groking the "copy from" term, as I dont see that in the epic link options. 

also attached. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 8.38.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-18 at 8.35.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-18 at 8.37.39 AM.png

and solved. I guess I just didnt see the field to set as a "copy from" action. seems to be working now, in the create action!

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2020

Hi @Sean Wiese 

Can you provide the full rule?

Mark's method of utilising the "Copy From..." function for setting field values is the ideal option for this issue - but if there is more to the rule it might benefit to see this :)

Ste

thanks! updated via reply on Mark's comment. 

Marc Isikoff September 27, 2022

And if we change the scenario slightly to automate creation of an Epic then a Story, how do we establish Epic Link on the story as triggeringIssue is not the Epic nor can we Copy from Epic issue (not established yet) nor Parent Issue (for sub-tasks only)

Marc Isikoff September 27, 2022

Nevermind found it:   {{#createdIssues}}{{key}}{{/}}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events