Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update several Epics Story points with manual trigger

matthieugd April 13, 2021

Hello,

I created 2 automations to update the Epic story point field with the sum of its story points after an update on one of the stories. One of automation is to update the story point field and the other (with a different filter) is to update a custom field "story points done" on the Epic.

This is working fine but I would like a manuel trigger to cover less frequent scenarios that will not be managed by my automations : moving a story from epic to another, deleting a story, etc. 

This manual trigger will take a group of Epics (found by JQL based on the fix version field) and for each epic do the same sums to update the fields.

I'm not sure how to do that with the lookup and/or branch feature of JIRA automation.

Any idea?

Matthieu

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Hi @matthieugd 

This is more challenging as you cannot nest branches or directly call one rule from another...however you can trigger one rule from another to do this.  How about this:

• For your manually triggered rule, for each impacted epic add a special comment: "recalc story points done, requested {{now}}"
  • Add a second rule, triggered on comment matching the pattern and checking the issue type as epic, use your logic to update the custom field.  Please note this rule is triggered by the other, so you need to check the option under rule details: Allow rule trigger.

By the way, for your edge cases you may not need the manual rule for clean-up/catch-up. Instead if you can find a way to catch the event with a trigger then you could also add the same trigger comment to have the epic update.

Best regards,

Bill

matthieugd April 14, 2021

Thank you Bill, I will give a try !  

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events