Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update a field value based on the parent issue same field value updated

Carin Talero August 5, 2022

I have a custom field = "Source", when an Epic Source field gets updated, I want to apply the same new value to the Source field of all the child tickets. How can I create that rule?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dan Tombs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2022

Hi @Carin Talero

This automation rule is really common and something we have a lot of. I have attached a screenshot which will help explain our rule. Hopefully this can then provide some context on what you have to do.

Capture.PNG

Just replace "Delivery Team" for "Source"

Hope this helps,

Dan

Carin Talero August 10, 2022

Thanks, will this make that the value of the field in the epic that was updated,  the same field in all the child issues under that epic will get updated to the same value?

Dan Tombs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2022

Hi @Carin Talero

Exactly that. if the value of the delivery team in the epic changes, then it will cascade down. You can put a condition in between the trigger and branch so that only changes to epics will continue.

You can also create a different rule so that when an issue is attached to an epic to immediately get the parent values. Change the field updated to parent link.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Like Carin Talero likes this
Carin Talero August 11, 2022

Thank you!

vaughan.dickson July 11, 2023

Hi.

How do you update the child field from a DIFFRRENT field value. I need to populate my child Affected Version field with the Fix Version field of the parent/Epic. The values can be the same but obviously the field s are not exactly the same field. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events