Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update a Capex Release Date on all issues Released in a Fix Version

Ron Swank April 11, 2024

I want to set a Custom Field date which represents a date of when an issue went out that was capex.  i want to have the NOW date set to on this custom field as soon as the version is release.  I am not sure why this would not work.  i keep getting this error and i know have to be close and seems logical.   Can't be this hard. 

Automation to set a capex date on version release.pngAutomation to set a capex date on version release error.png

1 answer

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2024

Hello @Ron Swank 

As the error suggests, you have insert a branch, choose all issues fixed in the version, and then edit the issue with your value. Like below screenshot. Please try and let us know if issues. Hope it helps and accept solution of your issue is resolved. Thanks!

image.png

Ron Swank April 12, 2024

So this may again be a semantic thing...we use Github and create branches.... i may have seen branch here and auto trought about github but now know it makes no sense tied to that.  can you give me a high level idea of why the branch is needed and what it represents in automation.  thanks for your help on this Kalyan

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2024

Hello Ron,

Triggers like Version Released, Sprint started etc, are just events which we can use to initiate a rule but Jira has no "issues" at hand related to this main trigger.

When we are trying to "Edit Issue" in your use case, we need to supply Jira with criteria on which ones to edit, thats where Branch logic comes in.

Branch in automation lets you act upon related issues in reference to trigger (could be, like in your example, issues fixed in version, or, if an issue was in fact supplied in original trigger, act on its Parent or sub-tasks etc.)

Once you start thinking of use cases like, how to do I auto-update a story when all sub-tasks are done or how do I update Epic's fix version when a story's fix version is added, you will further understand how branching can solve those use cases. Hope it helps. Please consider accepting solution if your rule is working as expected.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-branches/

Ron Swank April 12, 2024

You killed it...I started down branch but did not sound right.  Thank you for confirmation. 

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2024

If your rule's working as expected, consider accepting the answer. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events