Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlinking completed tasks or editing issue names based on status

Pedro Knup April 19, 2023

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to automate certain tasks in Jira based on the status of issues. Specifically, I'm trying to accomplish one of two things:

1. Unlink all the sub-tasks marked as "Done" when transitioning an issue to a certain column, and write a comment on the issue with links to the unlinked tasks.
  2. Edit the name of the issue by adding a prefix, like "[DESIGN]", to issues marked as "Done".

It seems that the only option for removing completed sub-tasks is to delete them entirely. This is not what I want, as I would like to keep the current scope of completed sub-tasks visible while removing the ones from previous scopes.

I'm aware of the "hide completed tasks" option, but this hides all completed sub-tasks regardless of their scope. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to do while still keeping completed sub-tasks visible within their appropriate scope?

Has anyone tried to do something similar? If so, could you share your approach or provide guidance on getting started?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Pedro Knup

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Pedro Knup -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing, what problem are you trying to solve by doing these things?  Understanding that may help the community to offer solutions to that problem.

Next...

What do you mean by "unlink all of the subtasks marked as 'Done'"?

• Subtasks are part of their parent issues, and do not stand-alone
  • Do these subtasks also have links to other issues, different from the parent?

Issues (and subtasks) have status, which is easily checked by queries. 

• What is the purpose of changing the name of an item to reflect its status?
  • In the example you give of renaming something named "[DESIGN]..." to "Done...", wouldn't that lose information that was previously available?

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events