Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find epic in epiclink during automation

Marcus Chuah February 16, 2022

Hi all,

I have multiple projects in my team and there is one specific Epic that i am trying to link towards as part of my automation. However, i am unable to find that specific project Epic in this page. Other projects epic do show up, is this due to some sort of settings?

I will like to add an Epic from the IS project. Images of the different project types are available below. 

Thank you.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 13.58.20.pngScreenshot 2022-02-17 at 14.00.37.png

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2022

Hi @Marcus Chuah ,

Could you provide a screenshot of the "rule details" and also from your EPIC you want to link to?

Best
Stefan

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2022

@Marcus Chuah: ensure that the project which contains the Epic is configured for the rule.

Like Curt Holley likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2022

@Mykenna Cepek 

I was thinking of the sope of the rule (single vs multi project) but as the screenshot shows and I tested on my site also single project rules show epics from other projects.

Which configuration would need to be done? Could that be a permission configuration that avoids linking to a certain project??

Best
Stefan

Like Curt Holley likes this
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2022

I've had difficulty with rules that try to access issues outside the Projects configured for that rule. I answered a different Community question recently where I tested just that. The rule didn't work until the Scope/Projects under "Rule details" included Projects for all issues of interest. "All projects" (global) scope would be fine too.

Maybe there are some edge-cases where rules confined to specific projects can indeed "reach out" to issues in other projects. I doubt that, but even if it was true, I wouldn't rely on that behavior.

It's an easy test for @Marcus Chuah to try:  expand the scope of the rule and see if that fixes it.

In theory, permissions could indeed relate. If a non-admin, for example, is configuring rules, and doesn't have privs to see or access another project, then they might be unable to configure the rule scope properly.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2022

The scope was my first guess. As I tested it in my setting and it worked here I deleted this guess from my question =)

As you mentioned: The good thing is this can be tested very easily :)

Thanks for your description. Reminded me of not always using the admin user :)

Marcus Chuah February 17, 2022

Thanks all it works now, its just the automation was not applied to the specific project. 

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2022

Nice. Glad to know it works now.

Best
Stefan

Like Marcus Chuah likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2022

Hi @Marcus Chuah 

Did you search the Epic by typing Epic Name? Type the FULL EPIC KEY

Even if the Epic is from team-managed to company-managed or vice versa you should be able to link the Epic.

Epic Link.png

Thanks

Marcus Chuah February 16, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M ,

Thanks for the reply.

I did key in the Epic name but i get the error failed to retrieve selections. Thank you. 

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 15.01.10.pngScreenshot 2022-02-17 at 15.00.57.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events