Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two rules being triggered by automation

Jacob Hidas October 3, 2022

Hi! Long-time forum reader, first-time poster here. Hopefully I explain this clearly enough so that it makes sense. 

I've got two forms that I created in Asana that each trigger an issue to created with a different issue type, let's call them training and design. 

The design form works as expected, but when the training form is filled out, it is creating 2 cards (both design and training) and triggering both email rules. Looking at the audit log, I see that the design rule is running first, but I don't see why it's being triggered, as in Asana it's clearly creating a card with the issue type Design and not Training.

Any guesses as to why it's not ignoring that rule and moving on to the Training one?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi Jacob,

When you are talking about the rules and audit log - are you talking about those in Jira or in Asana? 

If Asana, you would need to check there as Mattias says. If in Jira, can your share the rules that you have? 

Jacob Hidas October 4, 2022

Hi @John Funk - thanks for your response. If you say my response below, you'll see the way the rule is set up in Asana. What I was referring to in my post was mostly about Jira. 

So I have a few rules set up related to this.

1. If the form is filled out for a design service, then it triggers the following:

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.36.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.38.59 PM.pngthis email one is actually longer, but it's the same setup for a bunch of different colleagues with this if/then.

When I created the same rule in Asana for training requests, with a similar rule for sending an email out to the appropriate colleague, two jira cards were created - it triggered a design card and a training card at the same time, as you can see here:

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.41.42 PM.png

When I look at the audit log for when this happened, you can see that it went through all the rules and both were triggered, even though the form that was filled out in Asana was set to create a Training issue, not a Design issue (see blue highlights)

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.43.08 PM.png

Let me know if that helps clarify what I'm trying to figure out here! My best (and only) guess is that when Asana sends the request to Jira, Jira sees the request before the issue type, and is therefore going through the rules until it realizes it's a specific issue type that it should follow the rules of, not both. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

Did you check the issue type of the Training Service issue to see what value it actually got created with? You can look in the History of the issue. 

Jacob Hidas October 5, 2022

Hi @John Funk - checked and nope, each issue was created separately, no changes in issue type. The only change is the automation on one of them making me the assignee. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.42.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.42.24 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

And they have different issue types? 

Jacob Hidas October 6, 2022

Hi @John Funk sorry yeah I guess my screenshots weren't clear! Each card created was for a different issue type, one Training, one Design Service.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2022

It would still fire the rule, but it should fail at the Condition and not be successful. I would contact Atlassian Support to see what the rule still processed. Please post back here with the solution so we can close this one out for future readers. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Jacob Hidas October 7, 2022

Thanks for confirming that @John Funk . I've asked my admin to reach out and will circle back!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2022

Sounds good!

Jacob Hidas October 11, 2022

Hey @John Funk I figured it out with the help of Asana. Jira's support looked into it, but in the end it was on my Asana set up and user error on my part.

When I created the sub-boards, the main board still had a Jira rule for creating a Design Service issue whenever a task is added. I had another rule from the sub-board to create a task also on the main overview board....so even though the training card was on a sub-board, the task that got added to the main board ran the Jira rule, hence creating two issues.

After deleting the forms and rule from the main board, both boards now independently create Jira cards for the separate issue types!

Thanks again for your help! What a relief to unravel this one!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2022

Fantastic! So glad you got it sorted out!

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

Hi @Jacob Hidas

I think you‘ve explained your issue well enough for the start. However, you’re talking about Asana which is not an Atlassian product and probably not that many can help you here. I‘d recommend to checkout their forum instead.

Having said that, without knowing Asana, I‘d check the trigger part of your form/rule if there’s a way to restrict it for one case only.

Or try out Jira Work Management if that fits your use case better.

Cheers,
Matthias

Jacob Hidas October 4, 2022

Hi Matthias - thanks for your response. I know Asana isn't Atlassian, and unfortunately nobody responded to me on Asana's forum so I figured I'd try here (and already having better luck)!

This is the only thing I can do in Asana, which is why I think it's something with combatting rules being triggered in Jira. I had a similar setup for my other form, the only difference being the Issue type was Training not Design Service. (I deleted it for now just to try and keep my board clean until I figure out the issue). 

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.30.52 PM.png

I'll look into Jira Work Management, but that'll take me a bit of time to explore and see if that's a better way to work. Right now, I've got a lot of automations set up with my current Jira process, so I'd have to see if they switch over.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events