Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set assignee on branch creation fails.

heister82 January 18, 2021

The task successfully changes from TO DO to IN PROGRESS but assignee fails with this message:

"Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on transition screen. Fields ignored -Assignee (assignee)"

I used the "Used who trigger the event" option for the assignee field.

Any idea why it would fail?

edit:BTW I can see the field on the screen (just not on the create branch screen, but I see no way to add that on the create branch screen).

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi @heister82 

If you want to adjust fields during a transition, you must have a screen attached to the transition with the fields you want changed.

In your case, you will need to have a screen configured with the assignee field and then configure the workflow transition which is used from "To Do" to "In Progress" and ensure it uses this screen.

heister82 January 19, 2021

"you must have a screen attached to the transition with the fields you want changed."

I see no way to do that or even understand exactly what this means...

I replied the other person with an image on how I configured it...

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

What I mean by this is you need to configure your workflow so that when you transition an issue to In Progress, a screen will pop-up to ask for the Assignee.

You do this in the workflow editor.

1. In this case there is no screen association with the transition to "In Progress".

2. Use the screens section to create a new screen and add the Assignee field to it.

3. Edit the transition and select the screen you created in 2.

Finally, publish the draft workflow.

Now your automation rule will succeed as there is a screen attached to the transition which contains the assignee field.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.26.17.png

You can read more about workflows here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/work-with-issue-workflows/

Like heister82 likes this

My screen doesn't look like yours, but I did manage to setup everything and the error is now gone, however the assignee still doesn't work, it remains unassigned with no error messages.

I created the screen and named it "In Progress" and added the Assignee field:
image.png
I added the screen to the transition:

image.png

Log says it worked, but field is still not set...

image.png

Transition is OK but not the field:
image.png

Ok the issue was now that the option "User who triggered the event" doesn't work:

image.png

I also tried Automatic and it didn't set, which option should I use to set the assignee as the person that created the branch? (I'm creating the branches inside Jira).

Well, it appears it's a known bug...

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21114

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2021

That makes sense. I wasn't aware you were trying to do this from a Branch trigger.

Those triggers will usually be initiated as the Jira Automation user, which is an app-specific user and which generally cannot be assigned to issues.

Unfortunately, the {{branch}} smart value set by the branch trigger does not contain any information about the user that performed the request in BitBucket (or other compatible DVCS system), and in fact, none of the so-called DevOps triggers carry this information.

The only possible workaround would be to use the outgoing web request action to query the information directly from the BitBucket API, although this will involve setting up the correct authentication/authorization beforehand.

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2021

I'm a bit confused if it is for Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center? (Some screenshot in the topic are definitely cloud, others are not.)

For Data Center and Server, you should use the Branch Created Trigger which makes the branch creator available through the smart value {{devops.initiator}}.

Here is a recipe that show how to assign an issue to the committer. It may be exactly what you need or the script may need some tweaking.

devops-automation-rule-branch-created

heister82 April 8, 2021

I don't know what do you mean by "Data Center", I'm only using Jira.

The bug I had is known:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21114

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Jira supports 3 types of deployment: Server (legacy self-hosted), Data Center (modern self-hosted) and Cloud. Like I wrote this was a bit confusing which one you are using, but it seems you are sure that you are using Cloud.

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

Hi @heister82 can you post screenshot of the automation configuration? Are you on classic or next-gen project?

Classic project.

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events