Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger automation when Parent changes?

Shawn Oster April 4, 2024

I'm looking to run some automation when an issue's parent (not the old Parent Link) changes.

I didn't find a specific trigger so I'm using "Issue updated" but I only want to continue the automation if the Parent changed, and ignore any other field changes. I figured I'd compare the previous value to the new value and if they're different then Bob's your uncle but I'm not able to get the previous parent value.

I've tried various combos of fieldChange, addedfieldChange, deletedfieldChange, and changelog.

Anyone have a simple, working example of capturing the previous Parent value, or any other way to restrict the trigger to just "When the Parent changes, then..."

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dexter de Vera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Hi @Shawn Oster ,

You can use the trigger Field value changed. where you can access the previous value using this smart value  {{fieldChange.fromString}} 

image.png

Shawn Oster April 5, 2024

That works! I swore I tried that already but after awhile all the automations blur together. Thanks a million.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Hi Shawn,

What is it you are wanting to do when the Parent changes? 

Shawn Oster April 5, 2024

The answer below got me sorted but there are several things we do, depending on the context:

1. Copy or clear labels to match the parent
  2. Adjust dates
  3. Align certain custom fields

A lot of it is to sync metadata (custom fields) to make parent/child queries easier.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events