cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger Automation when Sprint Dates Added

Ellis Coon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 9, 2022

I'm trying to run a check each time a sprint's start or end date is updated.

The goal is to get issues assigned to the sprint based on a date field of their own.

I have the automation working, but only with a trigger of Sprint started as the start/end dates of the sprint are not populated until after it is created.

Any ideas on an alternate trigger to use that would allow me to access sprint.endDate and other sprint smart values?

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

Hi @Ellis Coon 

First thing, I am assuming that you are trying to automatically assign issues *before* sprint planning, and that during sprint planning the team would make adjustments based on capacity.

On to your question...

There is an open suggestions to add a "sprint updated" trigger, which you may watch/vote for to see progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22637

Until that becomes available, one work-around would be below.  Please note I have not tried such a rule to solve this specific problem.

• a rule triggered on an issue change of Due Date, or a scheduled/manual trigger rule
  • which calls the REST API using a web request to gather all the future sprints for the board
  • find the relevant sprint for the Due Date using list filtering, and
  • add the issue to the sprint

Depending upon how this rule is implemented, it could take several seconds to run.  For example, if this happens based on an issue Due Date change, that would be several seconds per issue.  If instead this ran on a schedule, it may be possible to use just one call to the REST API to update several issues.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Hi @Ellis Coon , those dates are not accessible to query. I don't quite understand your goal. Are you saying you wish to derive what sprint an issue guests assigned to based upon the issue's due date?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events