Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summing up the value of a custom field into the parent issue

Charlie Naylor April 18, 2023

Hello,

I have been looking at various posts about using automation to sum up fields into a parent issue, and I just can't get it to work and I am not sure why. 

When the automation runs, it sums the parent to 0 regardless as to what I set the children to.

Is anyone able to advise as to what I am missing here? 

Thanks in advance 

My automation is as below:
2023-04-18_12-58-58.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Charlie Naylor , welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Try setting this smart value to {{lookupIssues.customfield_11286.sum}} (I assume this is the custom field ID for your Annual Voice reduction custom field?)

Charlie Naylor April 18, 2023

Hi Callum, 
Thanks very much - I tried that too, and it doesn't complete either unfortunately. Anything else I can try?

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

I've just tried this out myself and have replicated what you are seeing with the parent values being set to zero. It seems as though using 'parent' in the lookup will only work when using the 'Parent' branch type, and similarly using "Epic Link" in the lookup will only work with the 'Epic (Parent)' branch type. So:

If you are setting these points on a subtask and want to sum them to the parent issue, you will need to change your branch to just use Parent rather than Epic (parent).

If you are setting these points on a regular issue and want to sum them to the parent Epic, you will need to change your lookup JQL to use "Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}

Charlie Naylor April 19, 2023

Works! Thank you

0 votes
Rich April 18, 2023

@Charlie NaylorI had success using this approach.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 10.59.52 AM.png

Charlie Naylor April 19, 2023

Thanks - I used a different approach that works but that's good to know

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events