Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sum up original estimates from stories to Epic

Nicole_Selph May 21, 2024

I have searched the community threads on this issue, but it seems that the problem that I am facing has not been answered to my specific situation, so starting a new question.

I am trying to set up an automation that will sum up the original estimate of stories to their linked Epic (Parent). I have set up the rule, and it notes that when run, it is a success, but no changes are apparent. Not sure what I am doing wrong here; I may be going crazy!

Here is my rule

Sum of Original Estimate.PNG

Hoping the community can help me figure out the issue, as I am sure its something small that I am overlooking.

Note: our original estimate is set to hours so using the divide by 3600

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2024

Hello @Nicole_Selph 

Are you trying to Sum up estimates from Story to Epic?

If so, your current rule is trying to add subtask values to Epic. Which is not correct and nothing will be updated.

To correct this, inside your branch, first thing you need to do is lookupIssues with "Parent" = {{issue.key}}

Then your total is, {{lookupIssues.remaining estimate.sum}}

And you can assign it to your epic as {{#=}}{{lookupIssues.remaining estimate.sum}} / 3600 {{/}}

Hi @Kalyan Sattaluri 

Thank you so much for responding! Pardon my ignorance though, I am not sure where to go to do the lookup issues, so not sure where to correct my rule. This is my first time creating rules, so I am not great at understanding the complexities yet.

Apologies, if my question is silly

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2024

Hi @Nicole_Selph 

After your Branch statement, delete existing Edit issue step, and below:

• Add Component -> Then: Add an action -> Select "Lookup Issues"-> Give JQL => "Parent" = {{issue.key}}
  • Then Add Component -> Then: Add an action -> Select "Log Action"-> Enter => {{lookupIssues.remaining estimate.sum}}
  • Finally, Edit Issue -> Choose "Total Effort" and give below as value:

{{#=}}{{lookupIssues.remaining estimate.sum}} / 3600 {{/}}

Like Bloompeak Support likes this
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2024

Should be like below, run rule and share audit log..

image.png

@Kalyan Sattaluri 

Thank you so much it worked!

Like Kalyan Sattaluri likes this
0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 21, 2024

Thanks to @Kalyan Sattaluri for detailed explanation of the automation rule.

@Nicole_Selph,  as an alternative to automation you can use Sum Up Reports for Jira app developed by our team. It provides a dashboard gadget and you can view multiple fields summed at the same time. The app does not modify your epic fields. Instead it displays the results on the fly in your dashboard.

sum of remaining estimate by epic.png

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events