Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop End Users from replying to a Jira Automation Email.....

Matt Sardi April 28, 2022

Good Afternoon, 

I wanted to run this scenario by the community to get your input on an issue that I found. 

If an end user receives an email notification from jiraautomation@abccompany.com and then replies to that email, their response updates the ticket but uses the Jira Automation account to post the reply -- how can I change this to the user replying to the email? Should I just disallow email replys or is there a way to grab their user account and add it to the name field of the comment being made to the ticket? 

2 answers

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

I'm confused about what is actually happening here. So user receives this email from an Automation Rule:

To: user@abccompany.com

Subject: Issue XYZ-123 has been moved to In Progress

And when they reply with an email to jiraautomation@abccompany.com, you're saying a comment gets added to the issue that is authored by the jiraautomation user?

Can you double-check what email address the reply is going to?

Because I don't think that is how it should work. 

Questions:

• Is this a rule in Jira Software or Jira Service Management?
  • Is user@abccompany.com a user in Jira? Or a customer in JSM?

Jira has to be configured to add comments via email, and it's odd to me that you'd have configured the jiraautomation@abccompany.com to accept these emails. There's details on this here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

Hi @Matt Sardi ,

you can setup the Actor that runs the automation (by default it is Automation for JIRA).

Please go to the automation and, on Rule details menu, select "User who triggered the event"

Immagine.png

That should fix your issue.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events