StatusCode 500 when validating web request to create confluence page from Jira ticket

Ben Greene August 19, 2022

Was following this guide on creating automation that makes a Confluence page from a Jira ticket, but my web request gives me a "statusCode": 500 error when I validated it to check.

I think it is likely to do with the formatting of my Custom Data, but I was unable to access the old editor for Confluence to get a proper skeleton from.

The full message:

{
"statusCode": 500,
"message": "org.codehaus.jackson.JsonParseException: Unexpected character ('H' (code 72)): was expecting comma to separate OBJECT entries\n at [Source: com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.limitrequest.jersey.LimitingRequestFilter$1@794c9cbb; line: 3, column: 18]"
}

Also my Custom Data in case that helps:
(The values after 'issue.' are custom field names)

{
"type":"page",
"title":"{{issue.Issue Title (Short description + Error text)}}",
"space":{"key":"DOC"},
"body":{
"storage":{
"value":"{{issue.Issue Reason + Screenshot(s)}} {{issue.Issue Solution + Screenshot(s)}}"}
}
}

1 answer

0 votes
bmccoy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2022

Hi!

To address the actual error: it looks like it might be a JSON encoding problem.  Any of the strings from the issue will need .jsonEncode  e.g. {{issue.myfield.jsonEncode}}

I'm not particularly familiar with the Confluence REST API though, so not sure exactly what you are going to need for the 'value' to work.  That said, I think you will find it tricky to get the data onto the page nicely.  The screenshots in particular will not carry across.  We do expose different variations of the text fields for example {{issue.description.html}} and {{issue.description.text}} in case that helps.

I'm also going to pass this use case on to our team.  We have recently released the "Create Confluence Page" action which allows you to create pages from Jira, however, it does not yet support your use case of filling in the content.

Cheers,
Brydie   

Ben Greene September 6, 2022

Hi @bmccoy 

Thanks for the response, I had a go adding that .jsonEncode but I still get errors:

I was indeed hoping your Create Confluence Page action would actually allow me to do what I needed, but as it is the action doesn't really let me do much of anything.

It would be great to be able to set the page contents via said action. Not being able to carry across screenshots is also frustrating. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events