Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled task with sub-tasks

Ramaka (bnd) February 18, 2022

Hello everyone,

I am new to the topic of automation. Actually, it doesn't look difficult, but I'm doing something wrong with the topic of creating a main task with 2 or x sub-tasks. But unfortunately I can't figure it out. Who can tell me what I'm doing wrong? A simple task that is created every Friday works.

ScheduleTaskWithTwoSubTask.PNGScheduleTaskWithTwoSubTask_2.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

First of all: welcome in the community ;)

Which of the rules from the 2 screenshots does work?

From the first screenshot the first action (create issue "task") says it´s created in the same project. The last action (create subtask) then shows a specific project. So my questions are: 

• What is the 2nd action processing (create 2 subtasks)?
  • What should the last action process (create subtask in specific project)?

Could you please add screenshots showing the configuration of these 2 actions?

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

furthermore:

The 2nd screenshot starts with a scheduled trigger and immediatly branches for "current issue". As there is no specific issue that is initiated with the trigger the branch cannot rely on any "current issue". 

Please check and/or send a screenshot of the audit log (of an activation of this rule).

Best
Stefan

Ramaka (bnd) February 24, 2022

Hello Stefan, thanks that you spent your time on my issue.

To your questions: Neither of the two tasks works.

I switch everything to English and runs the process once more. That the workflow:

ScheduleTaskWithTwoSubTask_3.PNG

and this the audit-log.ScheduleTaskWithTwoSubTask_4.PNG

Best Regards

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2022

Hi  

the branch "for subtasks" would refer to the subtasks of an issue. As the task was just created there are no subtask to "grab" for the branch.

In order to create subtasks for the lately created issue use the branch "recently created issue". This would set the previously created issue in the context of "current issue" and the "create subtask" action will then be processed for this this issue. (created a screenshot of how this could look like)

image.png

Like Omar Hutchens likes this

unfortunately, this way does not work either and the message with JQL is not yet understandable for me.
ScheduleTaskWithTwoSubTask_5.PNG

Hi Stefan, That was the magic trick: "recently created process". - It works. - As suspected, if you know how to do it, it's totally easy. I have a hard time interpreting the terms and always wonder what the author means. Even in my mother tongue I didn't understand, because then the translation is probably not optimal. Thanks Ramaka

Like # people like this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2022

see my previous answer. An automation rule/action always refers to a context (you can see it like a variable) named issue (that reaction then can refer to). 

When a rule is triggered by an issue the {{issue}} is automatically set and handed over to the automation rule (this can then also be used in smart values to get information of the issue like {{issue.key}} for further processing). In this case the rule has a scheduled trigger (not an issue) therefore the system cannot set {{issue}} to a specific value as there is nothing handed over on the trigger.

Hope this explanation helps and I could explain it in an understandable way :)

Best
Stefan

Like Ramaka (bnd) likes this

Thanks for the explanations, I haven't quite got to the bottom of it yet. But the door is slowly opening, the first foot has reached the new world of automation and I am beginning to understand more, including where my thought error lay.

Best Ramaka

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events