Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run new automation on old issues

Stacey Telford May 7, 2024

Hello people smarter than I! 

We've just overhauled our projects and ways of working in Jira and I've set up automation to assist with consistency across projects. 

Long story short, I had to change one of the automation rules after feedback from the team that it needed a little tweaking. 

Is there a way to run the rule on issues created prior it being tweaked? 

Rule details: 

When epic is created, automatically create child tasks x 8 with specific summary and descriptions. 

This was updated to also include {{triggerIssue.summary}}: in the new child task summary. 

So I have a bunch of epics and child tasks that don't currently have the {{triggerIssue.summary}}: and I really don't want to manually update them all. 

Does anyone have advice? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2024

@Stacey Telford This appears to work to update tickets that don't already have the epic summary:

Update from trigger.png

It's a manual trigger so make sure you have the right branch JQL and edit values then run from any ticket in the project that doesn't ned to be updated.

Stacey Telford May 8, 2024

Amazing thank you so much, this worked perfectly! 

I appreciate you!

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2024

Hi @Stacey Telford 

Generally for a scenario like this, one either changes the rule trigger to scheduled (or creates another rule) to make the "catch things up" changes.

The key is: can you write a JQL statement to identify older issues that need the change in order to create a stopping condition (i.e., all caught up)?

• yes - the rule can be written
  • no - the rule may not be possible, and may require manual triggering, as @Stephen_Lugton suggests

Note I wrote may not be possible...If you can combine JQL and rule conditions, you may be able to work around the JQL limitation.

Kind regards,
Bill

Stacey Telford May 8, 2024

Thanks so much Bill! I ended up following Stephen's steps and it worked :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events