cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run automation based on label or tags on customer level

Jacob Kock Plinius February 28, 2024

Hi Forum,

I have come to a dead end.

We have a generic automation running on creation of a specific issue type from the portal updating a couple of fields and inserting a comment to the issue-

Now our need has changed a bit and we need variations to the generic automation.

In order not to create an automation where I need to add organisation/project or something related to the specific customer I wanted to use a meta category instead. (Customer Level)

Is there a smart way of labelling the customer e.g. Gold/Silver/Bronze and based on this be able to run automations. IF there is a better way - please guide.

It would be beneficial to label to customer and have multiple automations run based on this instead of adding an organisation to several automations.

Jacob

1 answer

1 vote
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

Good afternoon.

You most definitely can trigger automations based on a label. 

I tested this in my system by created a value changes rule that monitors the labels field for changes. And to monitor for a value added during creation of an issue or editing of an issue. 

Value changes.png

From there I did an issue fields condition, which for this example I used the label BLOCKED because we do not have a Gold label (but you would if you create it). 

label blocked.png

After that I created two sub-tasks that would be created on the issue if the label BLOCKED was added. 

Label adds subtasks.png

Then I went into my test project and added an issue with the label BLOCKED. It generated the sub-tasks per my rule. Then I went to a past task and edited it to add a label. It then generated the sub-tasks. You can add a step to identify what type of issue you want it to recognize those changes for at the beginning as well (Epic, Task, Story, Bug). I just did a basic task for this example. 

Jacob Kock Plinius February 29, 2024

Hi Collista,

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I am not sure it will help unless the ticket from the portal can be created with the portal and the label.  In the ideal world I would need the system to identify customer a based on the label and run the automation based on this.

Customer A (Label: Gold Customer) will have higher priority - and perhaps pre-assigned person

Customer B (label : Silver) Regular pick by first avaliable agent

How I see your label it would require someone to label when it comes as there is no static way to identify as in Masterdate that Customer A is Gold? 

Jacob

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

I believe the question you are asking now is how you can set it up so the system automatically knows who is Gold and who is silver? You will have to decide how you want the system to identify that.  Your initial question was in relation to automations and how to do that with an automation. I showed that. But now it seems as if you are trying to figure out how to get it into a ticket (which makes this a service management question I believe) I do not use that product. In my place of employment we use Jira software, when creating an issue we have certain fields that are required and the issue will not create unless those fields are filled out. You could do that will labels, or categories to categorize those issues. But we have to manually put those in. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events