Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rule to create lssue link when there is epic link entered in the story

Praveen Chitturi January 26, 2022

Dear Team,

We've a JIRA project to maintain in project 1 which is aimed to create the epic. And we have another project 2 which is aimed to create the stories for development work. We're giving the epic link in this development story after the story is created. 

For reporting, we've AIO reports. We've a challenge in AIO reports to generate the reports based on the EPIC and issues under this EPIC. As per the other discussion in community it's not possible to list issues under Epic from AIO reporting. 

Thus I'm looking to some automation using JIRA Automation. My idea is to create a issue link whenever there is epic link added in the story. I'd done the below automation but the errors are coming when the rule is exeucting. 

How can I can pass the value "Epic Link" in the smart value from the edited story?  or is there any better way to create issue link when epic link is created? 

image.png

How can we know what are the possible smart values to use in the automation? 

Regards,

Praveen

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2022

Hey @Praveen Chitturi 

Did you try 

{{issue.parent.Epic Link}}

To know the list of available smart values, please check this link 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/smart-values-993924860.html

Regards,

Vishwas

Praveen Chitturi January 26, 2022

Hi @Vishwas  ,

Thanks for pointing me the smart values documentation. Though the smart value you've provided didn't worked for me but implemented the similar one based on the documentation as below.

With that I'm deleting the existing links for the issue and adding new issue link for the epic. 

Thanks a lot for answering this.  

image.png

Regards,

Praveen

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2022

Great !!

Thanks for sharing the answer too, it helps the community !!

0 votes
Gerda Grantiņa
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2022

Hi @Praveen Chitturi ,
In case you would like to avoid AIO reporting limitations, you can try the eazyBI app for Jira. It has a default epic hierarchy reporting, see an example report here: https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/789209-story-in-epic-overview-for-unreleased-version-issue-hierarchy

And in case you have one project as Master and link epics from other projects, you can create an epic hierarchy without a project, see eazyBI documentation here: https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybi/data-import/data-from-jira/advanced-data-import-options/additional-issue-hierarchies#AdditionalIssuehierarchies-Epichierarchywithoutprojects

best, 
Gerda // support@eazyBI.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events