Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Automation / Jira Cloud: Error searching for related issues

Xheneta G. Hyseni April 26, 2022

Dear all, 
I've got some automations running globally but recently it stopped working and showing the following error:

BRANCH RULE / RELATES ISSUES:

Error searching for related issues. This is most likely because the following issues don't have a related issue of the type you specified. Try narrowing your search to only include issues that contain links to related issues: xxx

Any suggestions how to fix this?

One of the automations looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.50.45.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Xheneta G. Hyseni -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is the rule image you posted one which received that error?

And if so, would you please post an image of the audit log showing the details of the rule execution with that error?

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Xheneta G. Hyseni April 26, 2022

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I got 5 similar rules which are throwing the same error and the oneI posted is one of them.

Below you can see the audit log of the rule above:

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.36.39.png

Best,
Xheneta

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2022

I wonder if the link type's name is the problem causing the linkedIssues() function to fail as it contains punctuation.  Perhaps try using that query in advanced search to observe what happens:

issue IN linkedIssues(TESTFDM-2, "Measures (to fix Finding)")

If it works and returns no results, please check your link types with the site admin to learn if there have been recent changes.

If that query fails with an error, you may have discovered a defect to submit to Atlassian Support:

• Creating a link type name with punctuation (e.g. parenthesis) is permitted and cannot be searched using the JQL linkedIssues() function.
Xheneta G. Hyseni April 28, 2022

Hey Bill,

you made my day! 

After testing the query which did not turn any results I renamed the link types without any punctuations and voilà it works!

Thanks a lot for the hint.

Best regards,
Xheneta

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2022

Awesome!  I am glad to learn that helped.  

The documentation page for managing links does not describe this limitation, so I submitted some feedback for the Atlassian team to take a look: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-linking/

Like Xheneta G. Hyseni likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events