Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popup notification

Stewie September 29, 2020

I'm trying to get popup notifications working with Automation for Jira.

The code is as follows:

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.util.UserMessageUtil

UserMessageUtil.warning("TEST")

This code does work if placed in a Validator script, but not when placed in an Automation for Jira script. Is there anyway around this issue? Or is it just not possible?

Many thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2020

Hi Stewie,

I can confirm that there is no way to display a popup dialogue with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud which you have indicated you are using, as Atlassian does not provide any Rest API's for displaying popup dialogues and ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud can only use the Rest API's which Atlassian provides.

However, you could work around this by having your script call the Add Comment API to add a comment when the pop up should be displayed or you could have your script call the Send Notification  API to send an email notification when the popup should be displayed.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Kristian

Stewie October 13, 2020

Thanks for the info.

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2020

Hi Stewie,

I'd lean on the side that this doesn't work.

Validators work while a transition in the workflow is being performed - in real time, while a user is looking at a screen.

Automation (in terms of Automation for Jira) happens asynchronously. While this typically happens within seconds and appears instant, it actually listens for events, and then performs actions. Automation for Jira can do things in the background, which makes the ability to display a notification kind of pointless.

Is there any reason you want to pursue use Automation for Jira in particular?

Cheers, Jimmy

Stewie October 13, 2020

Just exploring options. I've parked it for the moment..

Thanks for the reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events