Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Popup notification

I'm trying to get popup notifications working with Automation for Jira.

The code is as follows:

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.util.UserMessageUtil

UserMessageUtil.warning("TEST")

This code does work if placed in a Validator script, but not when placed in an Automation for Jira script. Is there anyway around this issue? Or is it just not possible?

Many thanks.

2 answers

Hi Stewie,

I can confirm that there is no way to display a popup dialogue with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud which you have indicated you are using, as Atlassian does not provide any Rest API's for displaying popup dialogues and ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud can only use the Rest API's which Atlassian provides.

However, you could work around this by having your script call the Add Comment API to add a comment when the pop up should be displayed or you could have your script call the Send Notification  API to send an email notification when the popup should be displayed.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Kristian

Thanks for the info.

Hi Stewie,

I'd lean on the side that this doesn't work.

Validators work while a transition in the workflow is being performed - in real time, while a user is looking at a screen.

Automation (in terms of Automation for Jira) happens asynchronously. While this typically happens within seconds and appears instant, it actually listens for events, and then performs actions. Automation for Jira can do things in the background, which makes the ability to display a notification kind of pointless.

Is there any reason you want to pursue use Automation for Jira in particular?

Cheers, Jimmy

Just exploring options. I've parked it for the moment..

Thanks for the reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

New to Jira Automation - goodbye Cron (sort of), hello new project created trigger, new additions to

Hey Everyone! Simeon from the Automation team here. I'm delighted to share some new features and improvements that we are shipping to Jira automation (Cloud only). Firstly, @Sam Harding&nbsp...

2,842 views 10 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you