Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tickets automatically get moved to the current sprint

Rajesh Shetty August 9, 2022

Hi,
We use to automatically create Jira tickets from the functional account.

This is functional however we are looking to have new tickets automatically get moved to the current sprint of the XYZ board.

Thanks in advance.

~Rajesh

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

Hi @Rajesh Shetty -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this? 

As Nic notes, automatically adding work to an in-progress sprint will have unintended consequences...such as reducing your team's confidence/predictability of sprint planning to deliver value.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Doing this destroys the usefulness of Scrum, so it is a really terrible idea.  It's the antithesis of what Scrum does, it renders your planning utterly pointless, breaks all your Scrum reporting, and stops you from ever being able to improve.

If you genuinely are working in a way that takes new work into a sprint automatically, without planning, then I'd very strongly recommend that you stop pretending you're an Agile team, and move to either a Service Desk project or a Kanban board, where you do "drink from the firehose".

That said, yes, you can break your Scrum with Automation.  Set up an automation that triggers on "issue created" and edits the current issue, setting the sprint field to something (you've got a number of options there, I don't need to explain them here, the drop-down is clear!)

Rajesh Shetty August 10, 2022

Hi Nic,
Indeed..! I accept you suggestion and consequences if we do that.
Fortunately I has to do it, as it a customer requirement.

Please suggest if you have solution for Automation rule.

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

I'm afraid you need to go back to your customer and tell them their "requirement" is, well, to be diplomatic "non functional".  It's simply going to break everything and they should not do it.

Tell them that the better options are to stop doing sprints and adopt a queue-like system.  Scrum is not right for them, obviously.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events