Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to create an automation rule that will edit the Flagged: value for multiple issues.

lintek214 January 26, 2023

Use case:

I have Story issues created across different epics and sprints. They are related in some fashion. I want to automate the proceess of editting the Flagged: field and attach the same value to all linked issues after setting Flagged: to a value. I also want this automation rule to execute in reverse.

Here is my example:

Issue #1, Epic #1, Sprint 1 (blocks Issue #2 and Issue #3)
Issue #2, Epic #2, Sprint 2 (blocked by Issue #1, blocks Issue #3)
Issue #3, Epic #3, Sprint 3 (blocked by Issue #1 and Issue #2)

When I edit Issue #1, Flagged: = "some value"
I need the automation to execute and attach the same Flagged: value to Issue #2 and Issue #3.

I attempted to build this rule out, but the JQL doesn't seem to be able to find the two linked issues.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

Hi @lintek214 - You should be able to do something like this:

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Flagged)
  • BRANCH: Linked Issues
    • ACTION: Edit Issue (Flagged)
      • Copy from Trigger Issue

Note - If your rule is cross-project, you'll need to update Rule Details >> Project Scope to either global or the specific projects.  This can be done in System >> Global Automation.

lintek214 January 26, 2023

Thanks, that me help tremendously! I have one more question. Does Jira automation support "chain modification logic" in the automation rules? Using my case above in a different way:

Issue #1, (blocks Issue #2)
Issue #2, (blocked by Issue #1, blocks Issue #3)
Issue #3, (blocked by Issue #1)

If I edit Flagged: for Issue #1, I want Flagged: to change for Issue #2 and "through the chain" Flagged: for Issue #3

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2023

This one may be a little more tricky.  You could try activating

Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

Theoretically, as each issue is flagged, it would re-trigger the rule for each subsequent flag, but I haven't tried it and if it does work, you'll need to be careful about how far the daisy chain goes because you could run into some throttling issues.

EDIT - I don't think this will work.  I don't think a rule can trigger itself.  You'd probably want to set an extra action to add a label to all of the issues that were flagged and then have another rule that triggers on field value changed (labels).  At the end of the second rule, you'd remove the labels.

Like # people like this
lintek214 January 27, 2023

Thanks Mark for the last suggestion.

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events