Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help updating Jira Insight Objects/Assets from a Jira Service Management form

Jeffrey Saunders June 7, 2021

Can anyone point me to the right direction for integrating my Insight fields to a "Service Management Project"?

I can get them to display, search for the fields in the form list, but now I need to actually change the data based on the input from the end-user.

Example:
- User accesses portal to update their Information
- Selects their name from a drop-down 
- 2 more fields are display where they can Type in the updates/changes
- User submits, automation swaps the Insight attributes with what they typed, or selected (if it is a "Type Value" that is tied to another Object Type w/a dropdown. 

The goal here is to make the updating of just a couple of attributes for end-users, vs giving the entire team access to Insight to make the changes. These are just things like their Skills or Team Association (drop-down Object Type) for example.

Is Insight ready for this type of integration for more HR related tasks?

2 answers

0 votes
frother
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2021

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for reaching out.

Using automation for Jira there is support to update the insight object custom fields in the create/edit/clone/create service desk request actions. You can find them under "Fields to set in those actions". 

However, currently, you cannot trigger the rule from changes to insight fields currently, so when you mention you want to update them based on user input, what input is that, most other standard Jira fields are supported via the field value changed trigger.

Thanks,

Scott.

Jeffrey Saunders June 8, 2021

Scott,

Thanks for the response.

I want the user to be able to select their name (which is a user type field in insight).

Then if their name is selected only update the certifications/team association/etc attributes on their Object (them being the Object in this case). 

Maybe there is an easier way I am just not thinking of?

0 votes
Hyrum Steffensen _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hello Jeffrey,

If you would like to show or hide custom fields you would normally need to use a scripting solution such as Power Scripts Live Fields. At the moment Live Fields does not support Insight custom fields out of the box. However, you can use some JavaScript as a workaround. For more information, see this Power Scripts documentation on "Hiding and Showing Custom Fields That Are Not Supported".

If you are looking to get or set Insight custom field information, I can also show you how to do that using Atlassian REST API as detailed in this Insight documentation.

Because of Confluence Cloud security features, you may need to open the documentation in incognito mode or by logging out of Confluence.

Full disclosure, I am a product engineer for Power Scripts by Anova Apps, an Appfire company.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events